Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Eizo monitor flickering with Macbook Pro on Leopard

Hello folks,

This is a little contribution to the eternal thread regarding the flickering of external monitors with Macbook laptops.

For the record, in this case is about an Eizo ColorEdge CG223W blinking every few seconds, although is quite random. I run OS X 10.6.8 and the monitor is connected with a brand new Mini DisplayPort to DVI. The monitor is tested and it's perfectly fine. It works with other computers, so don't bother about it.

I have tried everything I could find in this beloved forums; regulated voltage, correct wiring, interferences off the table, restart SMC, restart PRAM, connect and disconnect in various manners, set energy settings like this and like that, try different cables, and so forth. No result. Just the SMC seemed to have an effect in the frequency of the flickering for a while. Nothing significant. The apple technical department didn't help either, they simply refer to what is in the forums. Who cares, when my computer is out out guarantee, the OS is not supported anymore and the monitor is not even from their company, right?

After trusting Apple for so many years for my job, this is very dissapointing. Every new device is just getting worst. The same monitor runs like a charm with my old and beautiful 12" G4. No problem. What's the matter, Apple? I am aware you don't make the real money with us, professionals, but how do you think you made it here? Apple used to mean quality, efficiency and beauty. I personally think you should be embarrased as a company for an incident like this, widely reported and never solved. You have my blessing to go to iHell.

If any of you has founded a novel and smart way to solve a problem like mine, I would me more that happy to hear it.

Regards,

withoutmessage

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 12:12 AM

11 replies

Aug 30, 2013 12:47 AM in response to withoutmessage

I can't even afford an Eizo... I had to settle for an Apple Thunderbolt Display...

Which model MacBook Pro do you have? It could be (and sounds as if) there's a problem with the GPU on your machine, particularly if the Eizo works with other Macs.

Oh, and there's no one from Apple here, so your concerns are really just falling on the ears of other users, like yourself...

Clinton

Aug 30, 2013 1:22 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Hi Clinton,

Thanks for your answer.

Germans have a very sleek culture of second hand, you would be surprised how little I paid for the monitor back then (in the range of serious monitors) and how good the condition of the monitor was.

Anyway. Yes, it looks like the GPU is going wild. I wonder if there is anything else to try, a way to manipulate overdrive or if a different connection or set of cables would make any difference at all; I assume analog output wouldn't blink, for instance, although this is not what I want. The monitor only accepts DVI-i and DisplayPort-in, for which there is no Apple adapter as far as I know. I ordered one from another brand to give it a try but is going to be my last attempt. The frequency of the monitor cannot be changed either.

The computer is a Macbook Pro (from 2010 I believe). Intel Core 2 Duo, 2,4 GHz and 4GB memory and NVDIDIA GeForce 320M. It goes on 10.6.8.

Yes, I guess Apple doesn't care much about this forum. But it goes without saying that it is important to give feedback so that we have more information and greater freedom to decide. The question for me now is what will happen if I get a new Macbook in the future. Technology gambling. Surely they cannot test with every external, but how about taking care of the professional standards? I assume this flickering affects a big ammount of users.

Keep you updated,

thanks

Aug 30, 2013 1:34 AM in response to withoutmessage

If you've the mid-2010 15" model, there are problems with the GPU on some models. See -> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088.

Since it sounds as if the problem is with the GPU, you may want to print the Knowledge Base article and take it and your machine to your local Apple Store/AASP to see if your machine qualifies for a logic board replacement. It may not - but I still think that the problem is with the GPU and not an adapter, etc. The monitor should work flawlessly with your machine (I guess I'll have to hop a flight to Germany to get a good second-hand Eizo!).

Clinton

Aug 30, 2013 2:18 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Ideally I would test the monitor with another version of the exact same laptop, but that is going to be hard to find. The monitor works fine with other units, that I know because my old unit works fine with it. What is really weird is that this computer also works well with external devices other that the Eizo. I use to connect it to different projectors. Last night for instance it was connected to my home projector once again and no problem. The only (seemly cosmetic) difference I can see is that with projectors I always use HDMI or VGA, while with the Eizo it goes via DVI.

Would you recommend any way to make a GPU diagnosis myself?

thanks!

Sep 2, 2013 6:23 AM in response to withoutmessage

For those with the same issue, I am happy to report that I have finally solved the problem!

After making sure (again) that the monitor was working OK with different computers, I decided to get another adaptor. Instead of Mini DisplayPort to DVI, I connected with a 'LogiLink' DisplayPort Female to Mini DisplayPort Male, to the DisplayPort-i of the Eizo. It has been working fine so far. Fixed with a 7 € tiny adaptor.

Thanks LogiLink, thanks fellow users, take note Apple.

Eizo monitor flickering with Macbook Pro on Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.