Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Wiped iPhone via Sync instead of Backup

Yesrterday I was at a Genius Bar and the tech advised me that my iPhone probably had some corrupt data. He suggested thatthe best way to handle it would be to wipe my phone, and then NOT respore it from backup. He explained that any corruption would be captured in the backup and I would just be restoring the corruption. So he said I should retrore via Sync.

It wasn't until I got home and started the process that I realized all the implications. Yes I could restore all my Apps, but I would

1) need to manually recreate all my orgainzational folders and put the Apps on the right screen (1st creeen, second screen, etc).

2) any customization in each App would be lost; and

3) any Game Apps in which I had scores and had finished levels and such (think Angry Birds) would be wiped and I would be starting again from scratch.

I would also have to manually recreate the settings for Contacts, Calendars, etc.

This seems both like a huge pain and a significant lass. Ami I missing something? Is there a step or work-around I'm missing. Do I really have no option between keeping corrupt data and going through this time ocnsuming process which -- no matter how much work I put in -- will leave me having lost so

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 6:28 AM

No. You're not missing something. You have to re-build it from scratch if there is corruption that is contained in your backup.

2 replies

Aug 30, 2013 6:58 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks KiltedTim

I'll keep this open the rest of the day just in case anyody has a contrary view and info, and if not then I'll mark your response as solving my problem.

Also, sorry about the ridiculous state of the first post with misspellings, grammar errors and incomplete sentences. I had cleaned up all the typos, grammar errors, etc when I lost my entry. Apple provided a backup (which I wish other forums would do) but I didn't notice it was restored from a pre-edited version. My bad.

And thanks again.

Restoring Wiped iPhone via Sync instead of Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.