Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What sytem is used for determining where the mac book or cell phone located? WEB? Cellphone towers?

I am fumbling thru for the first time using this system. I am interested in determining what system is used to determine the location of the iphone, macbook pro. Is it based on WEB comnecttivity or Cell phone tower connectivity?

I do not believe it is based on satillites. Is this true?

Thank you for your time and effort.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 6:08 AM

NAF player wrote:

Is it based on WEB comnecttivity or Cell phone tower connectivity?

Yes. It uses a combination of cell tower triangulation in combination with locations of known WiFi networks that are visible to the device.

4 replies

Aug 30, 2013 6:30 AM in response to NAF player

NAF player wrote:

I am fumbling thru for the first time using this system. I am interested in determining what system is used to determine the location of the iphone, macbook pro. Is it based on WEB comnecttivity or Cell phone tower connectivity?

I do not believe it is based on satillites. Is this true?

I believe that it also uses GPS (if it is a devices with GPS such as an iPhone or iPad with Cellular) which does involve satellites.

What sytem is used for determining where the mac book or cell phone located? WEB? Cellphone towers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.