Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootcamp partitioning got stuck... now what?

I wanted to create a split partition with bootcamp. I'm using snow leopard on MBPro.

I used bootcamp assistant, chose a split partition and selected next. The progress bar moved for about 15 minutes before it froze. it froze for several hours and refused to move. The whole computer locked up. I did a hard shutdown and rebooted it. Now when I go to bootcamp assistant, it won't let me do a split partition because mac is "using" about 3/4 of my HDD. (appears to be used data amount + attempted partition size). I don't know how to undo a partition attempt. I can't tell if there's another partition on my HDD. Also, I tried doing a recovery with my snow leopard CD, but all I get is a grey apple and NO activity. I can see no way to break down the "used" partition.

My mac is messed up. I cannot do a recovery on it.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 8:39 AM

8 replies

Aug 30, 2013 1:02 PM in response to ANCOTX

It is the type of thing that anyone would say have backup, will happen.

And to shrink the partition ahead of time to the desired amount to see if you do have abiltiy and enough free ungramentd (consolidated) free space.

Booting from another volume to repair the drive FIRST ahead of time doesn't hurt.

Normally takes less than 5 minutes more like 2-3 minutes to create a partition.

Clean install and restore from TimeMachine is one way. Installs and updates tend to fragment free space all over the drive. Cloning and an erase and restore considates free space so it will work.

You would be lucky to have a bootable system, and to repair and do Safe Boot and try to get a clone or DU Restore Image made.

Sep 3, 2013 12:43 PM in response to Csound1

I don't care if I have to erase everything. What I do care about is getting the computer going again. What is concerning me is that every time that I try to boot from the Snow Leopard CD, all I get is a grey apple.

To answer your question, there are two ways that I know to use the Snow Leopard CD. 1 - power on and hold down "Option" and then you select your boot device. 2 - insert Snow Leopard disc while the OS is running and select the "restore" (I think) option. But either way, all that happens is that a grey apple appears on the screen indefinately or I get a progress bar that doesn't go anywhere. I don't know if my particular MacBook is walking the green mile or what.

bootcamp partitioning got stuck... now what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.