Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages cannot accept file transfers

Communicating just fine between two computers on Messages, but one of the computers gets an error message when we try to attach a small picture of any kind. It says that the intended recipient cannot accept file transfers, yet the other user can send them to that user just fine. Both computers in the same room on the same wifi network (doing that to test, not to avoid talking to each other in the same room!)

The computer that is getting the error message can't send to other users either. Same error message, so it's not just one recipient that "cannot accept file transfers", which makes me feel that it's an issue with the sending computer.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 2:02 PM

Hi,

In the Window Menu use the File Transfer option to display the File Transfer Window.

Does this give any further Info ?

What sort of Account is this chat taking place on ?

AIM, Bonjour, iMessages or Jabber.

Not all Jabber servers allow File Transfers.

AIM Transfers need port 5190 on the UDP protocol to be Open. (preferably your router should be using UPnP to allow two computers to use the same ports)

If iMessages open the Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities

Does this list URLFileTransferAgent ? (It should not - and the File transfer window probably says "waiting")

Does it list IMFileTransferAgent ?

This is used by AIM and Jabber transfers.

If either are present highlight them and then use the Quit Option top left and confirm Force Quit.

From the way you post the details I am thinking it is more likely to be an AIM transfer you are talking about.

If this is the case then try a PRAM reset.

Shut down the computer.

Restart it holding down Apple/CMD ( or ⌘)+ALT( ⌥)+P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file
10:02 PM Friday; August 30, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2013 2:02 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Hi,

In the Window Menu use the File Transfer option to display the File Transfer Window.

Does this give any further Info ?

What sort of Account is this chat taking place on ?

AIM, Bonjour, iMessages or Jabber.

Not all Jabber servers allow File Transfers.

AIM Transfers need port 5190 on the UDP protocol to be Open. (preferably your router should be using UPnP to allow two computers to use the same ports)

If iMessages open the Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities

Does this list URLFileTransferAgent ? (It should not - and the File transfer window probably says "waiting")

Does it list IMFileTransferAgent ?

This is used by AIM and Jabber transfers.

If either are present highlight them and then use the Quit Option top left and confirm Force Quit.

From the way you post the details I am thinking it is more likely to be an AIM transfer you are talking about.

If this is the case then try a PRAM reset.

Shut down the computer.

Restart it holding down Apple/CMD ( or ⌘)+ALT( ⌥)+P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file
10:02 PM Friday; August 30, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 31, 2013 2:00 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you both for the detailed response. Oddly, restarting Messages did the trick. This after I had reset the PRAM before and so effectively restarted Messages already. Huh? It is an Imessage account, by the way.

I have to say, as a user, Messages feels unnecessarily complicated. If I use an Imessage account, I can't use Facetime and there is no option to just speak with audio only as well, so I need a Yahoo, or Jabber account to do that. Why? Skype is better and simpler, which surprises me given the Apple mantra of simple and easy to use. Maybe Mavericks will sort this out.

Aug 31, 2013 2:38 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Hi,

If you are chatting in an iMessages conversation using the Video icon top right should invoke FaceTime.

This does presume that you are using the same Apple ID in FaceTime 😉.

Yahoo does not do Audio and Video within Messages or iChat 6. It is Text only.

Having an AIM (Your Apple ID may also work fro this if issued by Apple) Login or a Jabber one should allow you to Video AIM to AIM or Jabber to Jabber as long as the person is using iChat or Messages.

It used to be that you could Video to AIM on a PC people as well but that functionality has been lost over the AIM updates.

You are right that FaceTime does not do Audio Only.

The old iChat AIM And Jabber Buddy list connection Do. (As well as Screen Sharing.)

User uploaded file
10:38 PM Saturday; August 31, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages cannot accept file transfers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.