Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any Major Issues Renaming RAID Volume?

I have a LaCie RAID 1 configuration as my data volume with my OS and programs on my Mac Mini SSD. I want to rename the volume. It seems easy enough: just right clich on the name in Finder and select rename. Are there any potentials hazards given that the volume is a RAID? I'm sure I'll have my share of broken links. I just want to be sure if possilbe that I don't break anything big time. Here is my configuration from Disk Utility:

User uploaded file

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 3:06 PM

The answer is: it depends.

It depends 100% on the applications that you're using, and how they reference data paths (if at all).

It's more of an issue for server and background-based tasks than most graphical applications, but typically server apps run faceless and use some kind of configuration file to locate data sources. For example, if you're running a database server such as MySQL, it has a configuration file that tells it where to store its database files.

That configuration file will specify the full path to the data - something like "/Volumes/Data RAID/Directory/"

If you rename the disk then the server will no longer be able to find the data files until you update the configuration file.

This isn't a problem if you mount the disk/RAID under some mountpoint other than /Volumes (most people don't do this), and it isn't a problem for GUI-based apps where you choose which files to open, but background tasks might have an issue.

So, you need to consider the data that's on the RAID, and which applications/services use it in order to properly answer your question.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2013 3:06 PM in response to gcortes

The answer is: it depends.

It depends 100% on the applications that you're using, and how they reference data paths (if at all).

It's more of an issue for server and background-based tasks than most graphical applications, but typically server apps run faceless and use some kind of configuration file to locate data sources. For example, if you're running a database server such as MySQL, it has a configuration file that tells it where to store its database files.

That configuration file will specify the full path to the data - something like "/Volumes/Data RAID/Directory/"

If you rename the disk then the server will no longer be able to find the data files until you update the configuration file.

This isn't a problem if you mount the disk/RAID under some mountpoint other than /Volumes (most people don't do this), and it isn't a problem for GUI-based apps where you choose which files to open, but background tasks might have an issue.

So, you need to consider the data that's on the RAID, and which applications/services use it in order to properly answer your question.

Aug 30, 2013 4:16 PM in response to Camelot

Thanks. My Mac Mini isn't acting as a server. I asked here because I got great support on a previous RAID question. I am running MySQL, but I'm pretty sure the database is on the SSD. The RAID serves my htdocs directory so I'll have to change the virtual hosts files. Other than that, it's pretty much just docs, music files, and images.

Aug 30, 2013 7:12 PM in response to gcortes

Apparently, there aren't any major issues. I restarted before I change the name because I had done in several months. When the OS came back up, I changed the name and then the paths in my vhosts files. Apache started with no issues as did MySQL, which was on the SSD. It could access my development servers pages. I then ran rails new, which was the app that failed with the previous volume name (it had a space). It ran to a sucessful completion. So I'm a happy camper so far.

Any Major Issues Renaming RAID Volume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.