Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library Delete

I updated iTunes on Tuesday and shut down my computer. Everything normal. Now starting it up today it said I needed to pick a library, the most recent being all the way back in June. I had to redo all my songs on it and had to update all the apps. As far as I know, there was no conflict with anything before. No songs, no apps, and no problems with my anti virus. Does anyone know what happened here and how to prevent it from happenening again?

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 3:18 PM

Which AV do you use?

Although it seems you've already managed to sort things out see Empty/corrupt library after upgrade/crash for general post-incident recovery advice. Make a backup so you're prepared for the next time.

tt2

4 replies

Aug 30, 2013 3:39 PM in response to turingtest2

Total noob thing to do but I have multiple. Avast!, MSE (my go to for scanning and first to update), McAfee (which is expired is now firewall), and AVG which is expired and has left me with only internet security. And MBAM but expired and it's only if I'm really suspicious of things. And Kapersky scannner.

Yeah

A lot and I should clean up soon.

And I'll hit that thread.

So you're saying my most recent libraries became corrupt in the update?

And thanks! I'll be sure to backup.

You're awesome!

Aug 30, 2013 3:49 PM in response to HannaCross

AVG was implicated earlier this year in deleting library files. McAfee in losing preferences. Multiple real-time scanners is definitely not a good move as they way they interact can lead to data loss. There are all sorts of reasons why any given file can be lost or corrupted. Routine backups are the way to, if not prevent problems, at least enable swift recovery from them.

tt2

iTunes Library Delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.