Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop for iPhone 4S

I know that Apple doesnt want to take airdrop to the iPhone 4S because it will be slow, but since the very first iphone, we need to share with our friends thing that we have in our iPhone lime photos, documents, videos,etc. ( i would say music but it is ilegal) so just adding this new wesome feature to the latest generation of the iPhone (so far) is just unfair for those people that doesnt have an iPhone 5 (5S or 5C depending when are you watching this).

We need to share things however it canbe possible. Make that possible for all the iPhone 4S users. (Not 4 that is one very slow)

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 7:29 PM

9 replies

Sep 19, 2013 12:06 AM in response to ios decipher

Dear ios decipher,

I took your advice and followed your kindly provided link to Apple's feedback page. I thought you might want to review the message I left for Apple, which follows:

“My Dearest Apple,

) I own a brand new 512Gb MacBook Air.

) A brand new Apple TV Steaming Device.

) A brand new AirPort Router / Hard Drive.

) A brand new LaCie 1Tb Hard Drive from Apple.

) A brand new 32Gb iPod Touch.

) A brand new 64Gb iPad.

) —And; last but not least; a 10 month old iPhone 4s.

Considering your recent and wonderful release of iOS 7; I would like to inquire, what condom-farting-butt-plug suggested that a world class company such as Apple disable AirDrop on the iPhone 4s? It's a rhetorical question. This individual along with his or her group should be taken out and hunted down like a pack of wild dogs. —Again, my apologizes to wild dogs.

I would like to point out that these words will matter little in the scheme of the universe. However, considering the conscious decision Apple made to disable this function, I've made a similar decision to disable my purchasing any future product(s) that might have an apple emblazoned on them. To everybody else at Apple not associated with this decision, you have my utmost respect and best wishes for continued success.

If you have any questions concerning this issue where I might be of assistance, Please don't hesitate to call or contact me.

My Sincerest Best Wishes and Regards,”

Again, ios, thank you for the suggestion and pointer

My Sincerest Best Wishes and Regards,

RL

Sep 19, 2013 5:49 PM in response to TheLoboT

It doesn't use Bluetooth by itself. AirDrop uses a combination of Bluetooth and wifi but the Bluetooth is only used to establish the link in the wifi. AirDrop uses Bluetooth to create a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network between the devices. Each device creates a firewall around the connection and files are sent encrypted, which actually makes it safer than transferring via email. AirDrop will automatically detect nearby supported devices, and the devices only need to be close enough to establish a good Wi-Fi connection, making it possible to share files across several rooms. So without the proper chipset that allows direct wifi-direct it is not possible. It wasn't a choice by apple to leave it out the 4s, it's that the 4s doesn't have the hardware capable of using airdrop

Sep 28, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Easy Living

I appreciate what you wrote. I am with you buddy.

In my opinion every sensible person should boycott Apple for not including the basic features in their smartphone.

SInce the beginning, I have been a loyal Apple customer defending Apple devices at all points. But what I just read recently that AirDrop isn't available on the 4S really hurt my feelings.

If more of us, if not all take the pledge not to buy Apple products for some time, maybe their sales will significantly decrease and they might include Bluetooth sharing for all devices in iOS 7.1. Bluetooths are not so insecure after all.

Airdrop for iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.