Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating Aperture slideshow gets DRM message about protected songs

Several of the songs that I want to use in a slideshow are DRM protected. Out of my iTunes music library of 9000+ songs 620 are protected and they all seem to be old purchased songs. I have seem several comments about an iTunes store quick link to unprotect songs via iTunes Plus but I do not see that. Do I have to purchase ITunes Match, let it upload my 9000 songs then manually go in, delete songs then request them back in an unprotected format?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 8:12 PM

Do I have to purchase ITunes Match, let it upload my 9000 songs then manually go in, delete songs then request them back in an unprotected format?

iTunes Match will convert "Protected" songs to "Purchased" songs, but only, if the song is currently sold in the iTunes Store as an unprotected version. Before signing up for iTunes match, make sure, the songs you specifically want to convert are now offered as an unprotected version. Not all of them are, unfortunately. iTunes Plus used to have the same problem. For some songs are still no DMR free versions available.

For some of the "Protected" songs it helped to simply burn an Audio CD in iTunes (as you are entitled to do for backup) and to reimport that CD into iTunes.

Regards

Léonie

Do I have to purchase ITunes Match, let it upload my 9000 songs then manually go in, delete songs then request them back in an unprotected format?

With iTunes Match you will see the matched versions in your iTunes Library, along with the original versions. You then can delete the originals, if the matched version is of a higher quality.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2013 8:12 PM in response to Richard Salazar

iTunes Match will convert "Protected" songs to "Purchased" songs, but only, if the song is currently sold in the iTunes Store as an unprotected version. Before signing up for iTunes match, make sure, the songs you specifically want to convert are now offered as an unprotected version. Not all of them are, unfortunately. iTunes Plus used to have the same problem. For some songs are still no DMR free versions available.

For some of the "Protected" songs it helped to simply burn an Audio CD in iTunes (as you are entitled to do for backup) and to reimport that CD into iTunes.

Regards

Léonie

With iTunes Match you will see the matched versions in your iTunes Library, along with the original versions. You then can delete the originals, if the matched version is of a higher quality.

Aug 31, 2013 6:15 PM in response to Richard Salazar

As a test I looked at the song "Guajira - Cana de Azucar" by Sabicas. There was was no indication of a "rights owned by".

User uploaded file

I bought and downloaded the song and it downloaded as DMR free "Purchased".

But there may be protected songs in your library, that are no longer sold at the iTunes Store at all, and those will not be converted by upgrading to iTunes match. In that case the link to to the store will take you some similar album, but not to the song you want to convert.

Sep 1, 2013 11:29 AM in response to léonie

Thank you Leonie for your help. You pointed me in the right direction.

I went to Target and bought a 5 pack of Memorex CD-RW. Erased contents of one. Burned album then reloaded it. Even though I chose to replace the same songs, both the protected and unprotected songs appeared in my iTunes music. Deleted the protected songs. Also tried this with a single song. Did some slideshow adjustments including song additions. Export of Aperture slideshow for my AppleTV started without the old warnings.

Creating Aperture slideshow gets DRM message about protected songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.