Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV cannot connect to my iTunes Library

Generation 2 Apple TV. On the same wireless network as my PC (Windows Vista Home Premium). On the same wireless network as my iPad. Remote App is operational on the iPad. All operating software is up to date. Home sharing is 'on' on all devices, all devices are on the same iTunes account. iTunes recognises it is paired with the Remote App.

Home sharing has been switched off and on. All devices have been switched off and on. The router has been switched off and on.

Neither the iPad (through Remote) nor Apple TV can connect to my iTunes Library. The only error message is: "Check your network settings and try again".

iTunes recognises that AppleTV exists, because it is listed under the AirPlay icon - however I cannot get audio through the AppleTV speakers - and a song simply stops playing when I change speakers. When this happens, the error message is:

"An error occured while connecting to the AirPlay device 'Apple TV'. The network connection timed out."

A solution is welcome.

AppleTV 2, Windows Vista

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 9:07 PM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2013 8:03 PM in response to Rudegar

Thanks Rudegear - close but no cigar.

I followed the instructions as per http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2709

Now: I can see my iTunes library via AppleTV, and access it via the remote control.

Now: I can use the Remote App on my iPad to access my iTunes library, and control the library on my PC but not on AppleTV

Still, when playing a song on iTunes - either directly on the PC or via the iPad, when I select the AppleTV speakers - nothing. When I select 'multiple' speakers I don't get anything through the AppleTV speakers.

The AppleTV is connected to a Denon AVR (if this matters).

Thanks again - open to other pointers.

Apple TV cannot connect to my iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.