Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard won't link and screen is locked, I cant access Bluetooth settings

My keyboard won't link and screen is locked, I cant access Bluetooth settings. What do I do?

iMac

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 10:41 PM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2013 7:42 AM in response to txjake

First make sure the batteries aren't dead and that the keyboard hasn't already been paired with another device. If it hasn't, the keyboard should pair automatically when you reboot. You may have to press and hold the power button on the right side of an Apple keyboard until the LED starts flashing.

Otherwise see these support articles:

Mac mini (Mid 2011 and later) and iMac (Late 2012): Bluetooth keyboard may not pair during Setup Assistant

Apple Wireless Keyboard: Difficulty during pairing process

If you have a third-party Bluetooth keyboard, you may need a wired keyboard to complete the pairing process. It's a good idea to keep a cheap wired keyboard and mouse or trackball as backups for a desktop Mac anyway, because Bluetooth isn't completely reliable.

Keyboard won't link and screen is locked, I cant access Bluetooth settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.