Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with partition

I am using Macbook 2009 with Mac OS 10.7.5, before I purchased it with Leopard but upgraded via App Store later to Lion. I am having trouble after repartition my disk. Before, I devided my space into 3 partition: 1 is Mac HD, 1 is for storing purpose, 1 is Bootcamp for Window 7. However, yesterday, I decided to delete 2 other disks and only keep the Mac HD as start up disk. But when I repartition, Disk Utility is seem not working, so I decided to turn the Mac off, which I know is a not really good idea. After restart, the Mac HD appear to have full of capacity (160GB) but it is not. User uploaded file

The capapility is 159.7GB, but the total of Available and Used is only 44GB, which means all space for 2 disks I deleted is no more avaiable. Disk Utility also suggests me to use Recovery HD so I restarted my Mac and hold the Control+R but not thing happened. Then I google and hold on the Option/ALT instead, but it only appear one disk, which is Mac HD and nothing else. I lost my Installing CD. Please help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 12:18 AM

9 replies

Aug 31, 2013 12:32 AM in response to BKing38

1. Having a backup partition on your main disk is not very safe, disk gone means loss of backup, doing backup on a different disk is the right way (that you are going to take now).

2. The Boorcamp partition must be deleted WITH BOOTCAMP. Do that first. Restart and see whether it is gone correctly.

3. When that is done, restart while holding the Alt(option) key, choose the Recovery Partition, start Disk Utility and do the backup partition delete from there.

That should do it.

Good luck, post the results here.

Lex

Aug 31, 2013 3:02 AM in response to BKing38

1. You run Lion: when you start up holding the Alt(option) key, you get a boot menu: choose the Recovery Disk: then you have the DiskUtility as the first option, run that and see what you can do.

BTW starting the Recovery disk you can do also while holding CMD+R. When you have no Recovery Partition, start the internet Recovery Disk in Internet by holding CMD+R+Alt(option), you need internet for that obviously. You don't need any CD/DvD.

2. You do not succeed: connect a external disk: empty it, download CarbonCopyCloner trial, make a clone of your OS Partition and the Partition Recovery Partition if asked, this clone will be bootable. Start from the clone by holding the Alt key and choosing the disk with the clone. FormatErase the internal disk with 1 partition 1). Start CCC and restore the external disk to the internal disk: now the is cloned in the reverse direction, and will include the Recovery partition. Then you have the result you want. Exactly what you had before on a cleaned unpartioned and otherwise clean disk.

1) format: OS Extended (journalled)

Aug 31, 2013 7:45 AM in response to Lexiepex

1. I do not have Recovery Partition as mentioned above. Then I tried Internet Recovery by Command+Option+R but nothing happen.

2. I used my HDD as the external drive. I saved te CCC on my lap but it said i do not have enough space for it, even I did delete a large data already. SO I decide to put it on HDD as well. But when try to create a Clone, it appear a message "An error occurred when CCC attempted to enable ownership on the destination volume"

Please help. I am very appreciated.

Aug 31, 2013 10:22 AM in response to BKing38

Follow pont 2 again.

The externe disk must have more space as the internal disk offcourse.

By installing CCC on the internal disk, and then making a clone, you have an exact copy of the internal disk; when you then start from the external disk everything is as when you start from the internal disk including the CCC that is also in the clone.

Trouble with partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.