Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't edit pages documents on my ipad when not connected to icloud or wireless connection !

Can't edit pages documents on my ipad when not connected to icloud or wireless connection !

Sometimes it works fine, but about half the time now, when I try to open / edit a document in pages when I am not near a wireless connection,

I get some kind of error telling me that I can't because I am offline !

I should think the docs should be stored locally on the ipad, and shouldn't need to be connected to the internet.

When this occurs, there is also a little "down arrow" that appears on the top right corners of all my document previews / icons in the folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

iPad 2, 64gb

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 1:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 2:13 AM

iCloud stores data on remote servers which requires an internet connection in order to access your documents.

That's what iCloud storage is for. Data is not stored locally.

8 replies

Aug 31, 2013 3:55 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for your help.

That's what I was afraid of.

It seems a bit ridiculous, or at least ridiculous not to have the option to edit documents locally on the device,

and backup to the cloud.

I only want iCloud to back up my local data and sync to it.

Is there an option for this?

Otherwise, my question to apple would be;

Why did I pay $10 for a portable word processor which will not allow me to do word processing portably?

Seems crazy. A little annoyed at apple on this one.

Thanks again.

Aug 31, 2013 4:07 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks Carolyn, I do understand that.

But I should be able to edit my documents locally on my ipad,

and then have it backed up remotely to the cloud when I connect my ipad to the internet.

Do you understand what I mean?

Otherwise pages on ipad is almost useless.

The reason to buy pages on ipad is to edit documents portably.

On a wifi only ipad, the documents need to be stored locally, and then synced later to the cloud.

I understand the cloud cannot be edited without a connection.

Nov 28, 2016 9:55 AM in response to Benway1

I have the same problem and really see this as not just a small, but rather major flaw in the conception of iCloud and workflow systems with Apple.

I dont need another dropbox but want a seamless way to work on and offline with documents (both pages and MS Office for Mac). Sadly the answer is MicoSoftS365. There you back up to one drive (like icloud) but it allows you to select files to work offline and then syncs after.

Apple has always had a weak spot with enterprise and work flow documents as well as sharing. Google and MS are far far ahead here. I called in to Apple and the service reps barely even understood the issue!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.