Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dvds in 1080p format

I built movies in 16:9 1080p format. I burnt these movies using iDVD. But the result is disappointing regarding the resolution, compared with QuickTime Player's result. Can I get the same good resolution (hight definition?) with iDVD? If so, how?

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 2:22 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2013 8:40 AM in response to Hans J. Rieche

Hi

AND

DVD - is as Standard - Home burned or Commercial doesn't matter - must be so - Interlaced SD-Video Quality.

And can not be anything else.

Problem:

• Feeding iDVD progressive material - iDVD want's interlaced - ALL DVDs are interlaced

• Feeding iDVD a frame rate - not same as wanted DVD - Conversion made BADLY

• Feeding iDVD HD-Quality - Downscaling is done VERY BADLY

So to get the best possibly DVD

• Use a video-editing program that can deliver

- Interlaced SD-Video Quality

iMovie'08 or 09 or 11 - Can not do that !

iMovie up to HD6 - Can do this

FinalCut any version - can also do this

• Use JES_Deinterlacer (free on Internet) - to get the right frame rate

- NTSC (USA) - 29.97 fps

- PAL (EU) - 25 fps

iMovie and iDVD tries to do this conversion - but far from my need of quality. JES_Deinterlacer does this close to Pro-applications. And their costs are Astronomical ! JES is free ! and the quality gain is nearly not noticeable.

Best one can do from iMovie'11 are:

• NOT USE - Share to iDVD - Worst option ==> BAD BAD DVDs

• Share to MediaBrowser and as Medium (may be as Large) - NOT as HD or other resolutions

• Even better are described by Karsten Schlüter - by Share to QuickTime and by use of MPEG-Streamclip and JES_Deinterlacer - get the lines copied in an intelligent way so that there will not be staircaseing of diagonal lines. But this magic is above my head - still it was not far from

• Best solution - Not use iMovie'11 but iMovie HD6 or FinalCut.

Yours Bengt W

dvds in 1080p format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.