Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Dell died last week. How do I recover the tunes that I imported from CDs into iTunes?

My Dell hard drive had a bad boot sector, so it wouldn't boot. I pulled the hard drive, and now have this hard drive connected to my new Windows 8 laptop via USB. Please Note: I had imported about 2000 tunes into iTunes (from CDs, via the iTunes "Import CD" button). QUESTIONS: Where are the music files on my old hard drive (IE, what folder are they contained in) from the music that I had imported into iTunes? What file format are they? How do I find them on my old hard drive, so that I can copy them onto the hard drive of my new laptop? What folder should I put them into on my new laptop? THANKS!!! 😕 (PS - I have bought my last Windows computer! Nothing but Mac computers for me, from now on!!)

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 8:28 AM

1 reply

Aug 31, 2013 8:52 AM in response to v12Ejag

What OS was on the old system? The iTunes library is normally at <User's Music>\iTunes, <User's Music> is normally \Users\<User>\Music or \Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Music depending on the OS.

If you've already installed iTunes delete the empty library it has created and then copy the entire iTunes folder into <User's Music>, if not copy the old folder over before installing iTunes.

tt2

My Dell died last week. How do I recover the tunes that I imported from CDs into iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.