10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2013 11:03 AM by Barney-15E
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

I made a mistake and added a language other than English. It's not  that I'm a chauvinist, but I don't even speak that language, and I'm afraid that I'm now missing things because they are posted in some places in that language that I mistakenly added. I forgot hown I did this. Hown do I get back to English only.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (42,615 points)

Language and Text system preferences.

Check the languages you wish to use and deselect any others.

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (75,475 points)

If you still have a problem, use the camera icon here to post a screenshot of what you are seeing and we can probably give you more instructions.

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

Thanks for that. I've also changed the setting to "English Extended," although I don't know what that adds. There was also "English Computer," but I left that alone.

Thanks, but I think my problem for today has been solved. There are characters I'd like to have, such as degree, as in 80 degrees F, but the instructions I have seen for doing that are hopelessly and ridiculously complicated. Also, I am worried that any extra symbols I might add might not be readable on someone else's computer.

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (75,475 points)

Niku wrote:

There are characters I'd like to have, such as degree, as in 80 degrees F,

If your keyboard layout is US, this is made via option/alt + shift + 8.  I can't imagine any computer which would not display this correctly.

Thanks, but I don't consider that to anything like a solution. "option/alt + shift + 8" ????  That's just not acceptable. I'll just have to get along with typing in the word. That's much easier than the "solution" you have proposed.

The Extended keyboard layouts allow for creating almost all character accents from the keyboard using the chording function which is option+accent, letter with will attach the accent to the character.

To view what accents are available, open the Keyboard Viewer and hold down the option key. You'll see the chording keys highlighted in orange. On a regular US keyboard, only the basic latin accents are available with this function.

Also in the keyboard viewer, you can see what characters you can type with various keyboard combinations. Hold down the different modifiers, option, shift, control, and you will see what characters you can easily type with a key combination.

I went to Apple Icon>System Preferences>Keyboard, but I couldn't find what you are talking about. Did I miss a step?

If you check the keyboard layouts, they will appear under the "flag" menu in the Status menu area (right side of menu bar). From there you can choose Keyboard Viewer. You also must check the box to show the Input menu in the menu bar. That is in the System Preferences, same place you selected the input sources (languages).

• Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (44,120 points)

50°

Took 0.5 seconds to enter that. Faster with a little practice.

Sorry, you lost me. Well, it's not that important, so I'm closing here for today.

• Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (44,120 points)

You can also make a keyboard shortcut, I use dg, when I type it I get °