Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word opening automatically

Why does Word open automatically when I log in? I can't figure out how to disable Word and other windows from launching automatically. I don't want anything to open unless I select it from the dock.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 11:13 AM

In System Preferences, click on Users and Groups.

There select your name - if not already selected - and click on Login Items.

User uploaded file

You will see a list of items that open at Login. Select Word and anything else you do not want to open at login, and click the - sign.

Close the window.

By the way, if you do not quit Word (or any other app) when you shut down, the computer will reopen those apps the next time you start up.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2013 11:13 AM in response to b4str

In System Preferences, click on Users and Groups.

There select your name - if not already selected - and click on Login Items.

User uploaded file

You will see a list of items that open at Login. Select Word and anything else you do not want to open at login, and click the - sign.

Close the window.

By the way, if you do not quit Word (or any other app) when you shut down, the computer will reopen those apps the next time you start up.

Word opening automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.