Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should Iplace my ethernet switch between cable modem and airport extreme?

I'm looking for the best placement of an ethernet switch in my home network.

Should I place it "between" my cable modem and my AEBS or connect it to the output from my AEBS?

The current placement is connected to one of the AEBS outputs.

I'm attempting to set up an old AE (802.11 a/g from 2004) with a different network name than my home network, that I'm trying to set up for a college dorm network and each time I plug the AE to the switch to confirm its functionality, my network gets a little confused.

Help appreciated.

Regards,

jim P.

Airport Express (2nd gen.)-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Purchased Feb., 2013

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 10:00 AM

Should I place it "between" my cable modem and my AEBS or connect it to the output from my AEBS?

This all depends on whether you have a simple modem.....or.....a modem/router or gateway combination device.

If you have a simple modem, you cannot place the switch between the modem and the AEBS. The reason for this is that the modem can only deliver one valid IP address and it will be a matter of chance as to which of the devices connected to the switch receives it. The other device connected to the switch will not be able to access the Internet.

If you have a modem/router or gateway type of device, you can place the switch after the modem/router and before the AEBS if you wish, although there is really no advantage to doing so unless this makes things easier for you in terms of hook up.

If none of this makes much sense at all to you, leave the switch in its current location connected to one of the LAN <-> ports on the AEBS since that setup will work correctly no matter what type of "modem" that you might have.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2013 10:00 AM in response to James Palmer2

This all depends on whether you have a simple modem.....or.....a modem/router or gateway combination device.

If you have a simple modem, you cannot place the switch between the modem and the AEBS. The reason for this is that the modem can only deliver one valid IP address and it will be a matter of chance as to which of the devices connected to the switch receives it. The other device connected to the switch will not be able to access the Internet.

If you have a modem/router or gateway type of device, you can place the switch after the modem/router and before the AEBS if you wish, although there is really no advantage to doing so unless this makes things easier for you in terms of hook up.

If none of this makes much sense at all to you, leave the switch in its current location connected to one of the LAN <-> ports on the AEBS since that setup will work correctly no matter what type of "modem" that you might have.

Should Iplace my ethernet switch between cable modem and airport extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.