Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NetRestore Mountain Lion

Hello.

Im having a horrible time trying to do a mass NetRestore from a preconfigured image.

Server machine: Im on latest OS 10.8.4 and Server version 2.2.1 (169) - Mac Pro 2x2.26Ghz Quad core Xeon + 2 graphics cards.

Clients = 27inch Imac's

I created the disk image by taking my "default" preconfigured fresh client computer - connecting via firewire to the Mac Pro and made a NetRestore image successfully.

File sharing is setup correctly, Correct image shows in the NetInstall Images tab and NetInstall and File Sharing are turned on.

Client machines connected to Gigabit ethernet network with the MacPro serverr

----

So the problem is that none of the clients and see the netrestore image when Option+booting, N+booting , and it doesnt show up in startup disk under system preferences...

I did this with no problems using mountain lion server last year - so its not a network issue.

I have spent the past 2 weeks searching high and low for a solution and still nothing...

This is getting really frustrating. Someone please help me!

Mountain Lion Server-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), on a mac pro

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 11:59 AM

3 replies

Sep 3, 2013 10:19 AM in response to vjanomolee

In Terminal app, enter the following command:

ps auxc | grep bootpd

If you get you get back a line that starts with 'root' and ends with 'bootpd' then your service is running, and you should check with the IT staff to find out if they've changed the network since last year.

If you get back nothing, then try toggling the NetInstall service off and on again.

Sep 3, 2013 12:29 PM in response to vjanomolee

I did an entire computer lab last month. I had only two problems. One computer was on a different vlan (consequently, different network range) and any time I did more than four at a time, some machines would fail to clone.

So I would ask if your server is on a different subnet from your target machines.

Also, is the shared image on the server actually shared?

I shared via HTTP and that worked for me, make sure you have the green dots in the list of images and that it is available to all mac models (at least for testing purposes.)

NetRestore Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.