Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you access to Time Capsule if you are not at home?

I have a MacBook Air with just 100 gb of storage from which just 20gb are free. I started reading about the new time capsule which has two or three TB and it seems to be pretty interesting considering my available storage. I know that you can use time machine to back up the computer, but do I need to be connected to the same WiFi connection the time machine is or I can be at a friend's house and be using it as well? another thing i wanted to know was if it worked as an external hardrive. I mean, can I just drag files and save them in the time capsule or it just works with time machine?

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 11:27 AM

1 reply

Aug 31, 2013 2:16 PM in response to patriciojota

You can get remote access to the TC via BTMM and iCloud.

See the info prepared by Tesserax.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3413

Apple explicitly say not to do TM backup remotely.. remember your connection over internet is always reduced to the slowest link.. in this case either upload at your end or upload at the friends' end.

Using the TC as external hard disk is often asked.. and alot of us who see the problems that result say.. don't do it. The TC is designed for TM backups.. not as a data store or NAS.. it has several issues.

1. Storing TM backups and data does have issues.

See Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

2. The TC has no backup abiity.. it is not designed to function as a NAS.. all of which have backup built into the device.. proper automatic incremental backup. The TC cannot be backed up by TM as it is a network drive.. to back it up you will need to buy a third party product.. eg CCC and backup to where??

Once you move files off the MBA and onto the TC those files can be lost or corrupted.. so don't just think backup doesn't matter. And backup over wireless is extremely slow if you do decide to use CCC etc.

3. Some software can easily corrupt itself.. iphoto for instance and especially over wireless will corrupt a file and cause the whole library to be corrupt.. this is the reason to not do it over internet where file corruption becomes even more of an issue.

Get a fast external disk using the thunderbolt usb3 or fw800.. all much better than usb2 which is the cheapest but last in the list. 2.5" drives are small and light.. or a computer with a larger SSD or proper secondary drive.

Can you access to Time Capsule if you are not at home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.