Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pages app crashing

Just bought pages app for my ipad 2.0. It's running the latest ios and from the start has crashed. It first crashed when I was about to read the document that came with the app about using pages. Happens within seconds of opening ANY document. Even when I try to open a new one. I tried looking on the apple site for info but oddly enough, safari will crash when I try doing that. It also crashes when I try to use the gmail website as well. Those other crashes happened before purchasing and downloading pages. I closed all open apps, did a hard reset of the ipad, uninstalled and reinstalled pages twice but no change in the issue. So glad I paid $10 for an app I can't even use right now. Any thoughts on what to do? I can look at the diagnostics but don't know what it all means. tried turning off icloud to see if that made a difference - nope.

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 2:25 PM

39 replies

Aug 31, 2013 3:25 PM in response to Cara

If that happened to me, I would try two things:

1. Make sure I had a good, strong, robust WiFi connection.

2. Try restoring the iPad. Make sure when you plug your iPad into iTunes, that the size of "Other" is not overly excessive (much larger than 1GB). Also make sure you have some reasonable amount of free space on your iPad.

Good luck!

Aug 31, 2013 3:30 PM in response to sberman

I have a great wifi connection and you're suggesting I don't use my iPad to the fullest extent? Why bother getting something that can hold more if it actually can't hold more? I think I'll just get a better app if that's the case. There's got to be a better solution than to only have a limited amount of things on this device. Thanks otherwise though.

Aug 31, 2013 3:37 PM in response to Cara

I think you might be misunderstanding what I'm saying about available storage space.

I'm saying that regardless of what app(s) you use, your device cannot function properly if you use every last bit of storage. You always need a bit of free space for the software to function normally (and perhaps use some temporary scratch areas).

The restore would simply do a cleanup as well.

Aug 31, 2013 3:44 PM in response to sberman

Okay I'll check. I honestly don't have much on this thing since I don't keep any music on it but I'll check when I get home In few minutes. I have a 64 gb ipad2 and the iPad says only 20.4 gb are used. What exactly is in the "other" category? Shouldn't 37.6 gb of available space be more than enough for a functional iPad?

Aug 31, 2013 3:54 PM in response to Cara

Yes, that's a huge amount of available space! You certainly have no worries there ...

The "Other" category is things that are not categorized elsewhere. It includes such things as your emails (in all locally stored places, including trash). But most importantly, it includes areas where corrupt apps may overspill their storage areas. This occurs occasionally especially with game-apps, often that use Game Center.

One other thought is that Pages by default looks to iCloud as an interaction point. So hopefully you're all set up having logged on in Settings > iCloud, or you have some clean interaction there (such as never having used iCloud, and not signed in).

Aug 31, 2013 3:58 PM in response to sberman

I tried turning off iCloud for pages but that didn't do anything for that app. I do have iCloud set up for my other apps though. It would be annoying if that highly touted service is the culprit. I just started cleaning up my mail things to dump that stuff. What's the fastest way to empty the trash on my mail app so I don't have to delete each item once its already been put in the trash? I have my mail set up as imap to remove mail after a month I think in case I accidentally delete something.

Aug 31, 2013 5:12 PM in response to Cara

Cara wrote:

Yikes! 3.74 GB of other.

That's not an enormous amount of "other". I had over 4.5GB of other recently until I restored my iPad last weekend. That reduced it to about 2.5GB you have to remember that if you have a lot of photos, a lot of emails with photos in them, and a lot of documents on your iPad, that "other" can be larger than 2GB or so. The more files -- the larger the "other" will be. That space also includes, contacts, notes, Safari history and bookmarks, camera roll photos and all of the stuff that is associated with apps, but not the apps themselves.

Now getting back to why Pages is crashing on you, I'm not sure why that is happening. If you have no files in Pages and it was crashing from the get-go, I would try deleting the App again, close all apps in the recents tray again, clear Safari, reboot the iPad (hold down on the sleep and home buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen) and then reset all settings. That will return all of the device settings to factory defaults and you will have to enter them all again in the settings app, but you will not lose any data.

After that, I would download Pages again and then see what happens. I would use iCloud with Pages as well. Settings>Pages>Use iCloud>On. Then you can access your files from iCloud.com or download them to your computer from iCloud.com. I assume that you are not using a Mac.

Sep 1, 2013 1:49 PM in response to Cara

Rereading the entire thread above, I have to wonder if the sites you mention that crash in Safari (both the Apple site that provides Pages info as well as gmail) are crashing in Safari on your iPad or on your Mac.

If Safari as well as Pages crash on your iPad, try resetting it. Simply hold the on/off and home buttons together for about 10 seconds till the Apple logo appears.

pages app crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.