Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound does not work after sleep

I'm really tired of this problem. Have a MBP Retina running the most current OS 10.8.4. Every few days or so when I wake the system (after having lid closed for a while, and Chrome browser running) sound does not come back on. So, if I am using youtube I can't hear anything. Only solution I've found is to restart the computer, which of course I don't want to do with browser tabs open, etc. etc.

Isn't there a simple solution to this, before Apple finally figures out what causes this glitch?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 8:49 PM

13 replies

Aug 31, 2013 9:15 PM in response to Scott-Weaver

SMC RESET

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Sep 15, 2013 3:46 AM in response to Scott-Weaver

I have a Mac Mini (Late 2012) and I have this same exact problem. It only seems to have cropped up in the last few days, I think around the time that 10.8.5 was rolled out?

It's only the HDMI sound that seems to be affected. Rebooting is the only thing that seems to resurrect the sound on HDMI.

Have tried the above advice as well as other general advice for restarting coreaudio, all to no avail.

Dec 16, 2013 8:31 AM in response to Scott-Weaver

Also had the same problem here. Macbook Pro late 2013. Do you guys have parallel desktop installed? My Macbook pro works perfectly fine untill I install flash player in Parallel Desktop (windows 7 in Parallel). After uninstalling the flash player plugin in Parallel the sound problem goes away. Disabling the flash player plugin in chrome://plugins also works for me too.

Can you guys try diabling the flash plugin to see if it can solve your problem? I find that there is a bug report on the same issue in the Chrome issue tracker as well: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=160920

Dec 20, 2013 2:58 AM in response to Scott-Weaver

I'm having the same issue. On black friday I bought a mac book pro 15 retina display it worked well until two days ago when i shut the lid laptop goes to sleep but than when I open the lit the sound just won't work. I tried using a iphone wired headphone and, a bluetooth headset both did not work so i have to restart everytime when the laptop wakes up. All software are up to date. Any solution to this annoying problem?

thank you in advance for your help and time

Sound does not work after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.