Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to save files, documents, bookmarks, iTunes and iPhoto libraries, each in separate folders to external hard drive prior to full sweep and overwrite for the purpose of full sweep of Macbook?

Never done this before and cannot find a manual for OS X 10.7.5 Lion. Basically I want to clean my 2009 Macbook6,1 as though I were selling it and start out fresh but before I attempt it I want to stash my contents (Files, Documents, Bookmarks, iTunes and iPhoto libraries to my external Hard Drive, all in separate folders to return them to Macbook after the full sweep and big overwrite. Can anyone help me?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 10:23 AM

That may not be the best approach (see below).

Format the drive for a Mac (see #1 in Using Disk Utility if you're not sure how).

Create the folders you want on it.

Open a second Finder window and drag what you want from one to the other.

If you only copy the stuff listed, you'll lose your AddressBook, Mail, Calendars, preferences, and probably all sorts of other things.

A better option might be to back up your entire system, either with Time Machine or one of the "cloning" apps. Then you can restore selectively from TM, or copy selectively from the clone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2013 10:23 AM in response to davesnewlion

That may not be the best approach (see below).

Format the drive for a Mac (see #1 in Using Disk Utility if you're not sure how).

Create the folders you want on it.

Open a second Finder window and drag what you want from one to the other.

If you only copy the stuff listed, you'll lose your AddressBook, Mail, Calendars, preferences, and probably all sorts of other things.

A better option might be to back up your entire system, either with Time Machine or one of the "cloning" apps. Then you can restore selectively from TM, or copy selectively from the clone.

Want to save files, documents, bookmarks, iTunes and iPhoto libraries, each in separate folders to external hard drive prior to full sweep and overwrite for the purpose of full sweep of Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.