Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Unsupported image format"… Has nothing to do with RAW images…

I have a very weird problem with one of my Aperture 3 libraries. This only seems to apply to one library, all the others I tested seem to work just fine.

This library was created on my MBA and transfered to my iMac when I returned from my trip. It worked fine until yesterday.

When I open an image (thumbnail looks just fine) the photo briefly shows the large view with the "Loading" indicator at the top. When the loading indicator goes away the photo is replaced with the "Unsupported image format" display. After that the thumbnail is gone too. This happens for most, but not all images in this gallery. I can restore the thumbnail and other previews from the raw NEF photos by choosing "Reprocess Original".

I have already tried all the options the Aperture debug menu offers (start with Option-Command), this didn't help…

When I open the library in the Finder (Show package contents) I can drill down to the "Previews" folder and see the photos that Aperture wont display. They seem jsut fine and all file permissions seem to be set correctly…

Has anyone ever experienced this problem? I really don't know what else i could try, short of deleting this library and importing all the images into a new one, losing all my edits, of course… Super annoying…

Thanks and kind regards, Hans

Edit: The raw photos are from my Nikon D700, which has been supported by the RAW importer since forever. i dont think that has anything to do with the original files, especially since Aperture can recreate the previews from the raws…

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 3:31 AM

What did you do then ? It worked fine until yesterday.

19 replies

Sep 1, 2013 6:39 AM in response to Hans Schneider

There has been problems with the last Raw update released a few days ago especially with Nikon cameras.

Have you updated your system software in the last day or so? Is it possible you updated on one system but not another.

And for what its worth norbertmuc's question was valid from a troubleshooting standpoint. If something worked at one point and stop working at a second point it is fair to ask what happened between those two points. He might have been a bit brusque but I don;t think he was accusing you of anything.

And of course there are many things you can do to a library to break it.

Sep 1, 2013 6:49 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Yeah, I have installed all the latest updates (including any camera raw updates). I kind of doubt that this is the problem, since this issue only concerns one library and seems to be about the preview JPEGs… The NEF files can also be displayed with quick look from the Finder without any problem. Of course there might still be a connection here, thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Sep 1, 2013 7:56 AM in response to norbertmuc

Yes it did! Thank you guys and sorry about being a dick to you, Norbert…

I guess Camera Raw 4.08 somehow messes up the preview images. This would explain why old libraries still work. Weird though why this happened so suddenly, the preview images should actually have been created before the 4.08 update. Probably Aperture decided to reprocess all the images for some reason…

"Unsupported image format"… Has nothing to do with RAW images…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.