Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS Garageband: Is there any way of making songs longer than 320 bars? eg recordings unto one hour.

Previously I used a MacbookPro and GB to record lecture audio from a sound desk. The macbook sadly died and I have been trying to do the job with my iPad again using GB. I am able to record from the desk to the iPad but can't get past the 320 bar limit. I need to have a record time around 35 to 50 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Message was edited by: RustyEH

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 4:55 AM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2013 5:37 AM in response to RustyEH

The maximum song length in GarageBand on the iPad is 320 bars, the minimum tempo you can set is 40bpm, and there are 4 beats to the bar. 320x4/40 gives 32mins as the maximum length of an audio recording in GarageBand. (I haven't explored the impact of alternate time signatures.) To make it work in practice you need to set the section length to automatic and stop the iPad from sleeping. Since I have Exchange email on my iPad, Auto-Lock is mandatory and I have a choice between 2 or 5 mins sleep time. Touching the screen resets the timer. I have managed to record a full 32 mins of audio just to make sure that practice follows theory, but it is hardly practical.

If your primary requirement is to record an extended piece of audio I'm sure you can find another app more suited for the task. I use iTalk Recorder.

tt2

IOS Garageband: Is there any way of making songs longer than 320 bars? eg recordings unto one hour.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.