Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my FCP projects into Final Cut Pro X?

I have many FCP projects from my old Mac that were created in Final Cut Express. I bought a new Mac and got Final Cut Pro X thinking I could just move these projects over into the new program. But I cannot figure it out. Hopefully there is a way to do this without re-editing everything.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 5:51 AM

There is no direct way to do this…and the indirect way requires a third part app (7toX) and access to Final Cut Pro (6 or 7). If it's critical to open one or more of these, post back and I (or someone else) can provide more detail.

Naturally, you can take an FCE-exported QuickTime movie (say in Apple Intermediate Codec) and open that in FCPX.

Good luck.

Russ

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2013 5:51 AM in response to jbexp

There is no direct way to do this…and the indirect way requires a third part app (7toX) and access to Final Cut Pro (6 or 7). If it's critical to open one or more of these, post back and I (or someone else) can provide more detail.

Naturally, you can take an FCE-exported QuickTime movie (say in Apple Intermediate Codec) and open that in FCPX.

Good luck.

Russ

Sep 1, 2013 12:47 PM in response to Russ H

I have one FCP Express project that I would definitely like to bring over to FCP X if that's possible - but I don't have FCP 6 or 7.

Do you know if FCP Express runs on the new OX 10.8.4 because I could just install that old version for my existing FCP projects if it will run on the new iMac.

Thanks for your help!

Sep 1, 2013 1:34 PM in response to jbexp

I believe that in order to install FCE, it is first necessary to install Rosetta, so the Power PC Installer for FCE can function. You could get Rosetta from a Snow Leopard installation disk.

Having said that, I have not done it. I went as far as opening a 10.6 install disk on a 10.8 system just to see what the options are. Optional install was the only option I had and I was given the option to install only Rosetta. But I did not.

The more experienced contributors to the FCE forum tend to advise against try to run FCE on ML, but there have been posts from users that report success.Here is one of those threads.

Good luck.

Russ

Sep 13, 2013 4:58 AM in response to jbexp

Is FCE 3.5.1 a powerpc only application, or is it a universal application, but the installer is powerpc only?

I have FCE 4.0.1, which runs in 10.8.4, but it was installed way back (perhaps when this mac had 10.6?)

So a possibility might be to install on a machine with 10.6 and then copy it over, or install on an external with 10.6 and then update the OS in place.

Sep 13, 2013 11:50 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

FCE 3.5 is a universal application. However there is a bug in its installer app that triggers the PowerPC dialog box, even though it is also universal.

The two existing workarounds are either to use Pacifist or a method using Terminal, developed by Jeremy Johnstone, Jeremy has also developed a simple fix using TextEdit and I am waiting for further instruction from him so I can repeat that method here.

He has generally described the problem and its solution, but since I do not have a copy of FCE 3.5 readily available to me, I have no way to determine if my interpretation of his description works correctly. I am loathe to post a "fix" that I have not successfully used myself.

I considered purchasing a copy of FCE off of eBay, but the prices it still commands are just too high for a simple philantropic project. A "loaned" copy of FCE 3.5 (or FCP 6, which also suffers from the same installation bug) would facilitate matters...

How can I get my FCP projects into Final Cut Pro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.