Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Right-click Opens a Movie Trailer in QuickTime Player?

Hello all,

I used to be able to at Apple's Movie Trailer page (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/), right-click a movie trailer's resolution, e.g. 720p and choose an option in the right-click contextual menu to open the trailer in QuickTime player, and also able to save it to my computer.

But now that option seems to have disaapear, did Apple tweak this?

So is there a way for me to watch the trailer in QuickTime now?

Many thanks, cheers.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iPhone 5, iPad mini, MBP Retina

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 10:08 AM

How long has it been since you last tried your work flow and under which operating system? Basically, Apple seems to have been modifying the way the trailers web pages work, eliminating most of the 1080p resolutions, eliminating all QT player playback routines which seem to present problems across various operating systems, and generally not updating the site for compatibility with the newest operating systems like Mountain Lion. (I.e., to see a dramatic difference, try opening the site in Safari on two different playtforms with one operating under Snow Leopard and the other under Mountain Lion.) I suspect Apple is, more or less, in the process of downplaying the web-based trailers access in favor of iTunes-based trailers access which is likely more easily managed for a consistent output. I wouldn't call this a "tweak" but it is a definite change.

Luckily, the basic, time-tested work flows are still good no matter which operating system you are using and it is still possible to download trailers if you are of a mind to spend the time and effort to do so. As in the past, it is possible to recover the URL for the "reference" trailer files, play them in either the QT X or QT 7 players manually, save the "reference" file to your system, and/or create a local "standalone" trailer file if so desired. Specifics, however, vary depending on the OS and/or browser in use.

User uploaded file

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2013 10:08 AM in response to howwow

How long has it been since you last tried your work flow and under which operating system? Basically, Apple seems to have been modifying the way the trailers web pages work, eliminating most of the 1080p resolutions, eliminating all QT player playback routines which seem to present problems across various operating systems, and generally not updating the site for compatibility with the newest operating systems like Mountain Lion. (I.e., to see a dramatic difference, try opening the site in Safari on two different playtforms with one operating under Snow Leopard and the other under Mountain Lion.) I suspect Apple is, more or less, in the process of downplaying the web-based trailers access in favor of iTunes-based trailers access which is likely more easily managed for a consistent output. I wouldn't call this a "tweak" but it is a definite change.

Luckily, the basic, time-tested work flows are still good no matter which operating system you are using and it is still possible to download trailers if you are of a mind to spend the time and effort to do so. As in the past, it is possible to recover the URL for the "reference" trailer files, play them in either the QT X or QT 7 players manually, save the "reference" file to your system, and/or create a local "standalone" trailer file if so desired. Specifics, however, vary depending on the OS and/or browser in use.

User uploaded file

Sep 2, 2013 8:53 PM in response to Jon Walker

Hello Jon,

Hee I have to admit I have not been visiting the trailer site for maybe since mid May! So I guess Apple is "hard at work" then, or rather, been "ignoring" the site and is busy somewhere else. 🙂

Yeap, as in the past like you say, take a bit of time, to scour for the URL and paste it in QT player to save the trailer. I use to do that too.

Thanks!

HW

Sep 3, 2013 6:04 AM in response to howwow

Hee I have to admit I have not been visiting the trailer site for maybe since mid May! So I guess Apple is "hard at work" then, or rather, been "ignoring" the site and is busy somewhere else. 🙂

Have to admit I have been a bit lax also since this is what I get when I try to access the trailers web site:

User uploaded file

If, however, I do manage to get to a web page with a trailer I want to view locally, I have been using the following shortcut to access the file under Mountain Lion:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Which opens to a window reference only a few lines below the URL you want to access. In any case, you don't have the search the entire page of code using this method. URL can then be copied and pasted to the "Download List" window to download the file to your default download target area or opened/saved normally in either the QT X or QT 7 Pro player.

Yeap, as in the past like you say, take a bit of time, to scour for the URL and paste it in QT player to save the trailer. I use to do that too.

How would you like to go back to use the built-in "Context Menu" option? After playing around a bit more with the trailer pages, I discovered the traler resolution options are themselves now context adaptive and can be used to directly access the "Context Menu" as you used to be able to do so from the trailer display window as seen below:

User uploaded file

Interesting topic. Thanks for posting it as I learned about two new things—Media Center and the secondary context menu access. Now if they could only get the trailers website to initialize properly for this system so I don't have to keep switching to another platform or startup drive for full access/search capabilities.

User uploaded file

Sep 3, 2013 6:25 AM in response to Jon Walker

How would you like to go back to use the built-in "Context Menu" option?

Oops! Looks like a false alarm. Must have had a copy of the URL already copied to the clipboard when I tried using the Context Menu. When I retried this on a differet trailer it did not work. Returned to original traler and it still didn't work so it looks like I back to the drawing board here.

User uploaded file

Right-click Opens a Movie Trailer in QuickTime Player?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.