Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stream purchased movies to my Macbook Pro if I've already downloaded them and moved the source files to an external desktop hard drive and I'm away from home?

I recently added a number of movies to my iTunes library by redeeming digital copeis that came with Blu-rays. Due to limted disc space on my MacBook Pro, and for safe keeping, once I downloaded the movies, I moved the source files to an external desktop hard drive. When I'm home and I'm able to access that external HD via my home network, I'm able to watch the movies without an issue. However, if I'm away from home and I want to watch them, I'm not sure how to do that. I thought I could "stream" purchased movies from within iTunes - even after downloading them - using "iTunes in the Cloud" but can't figure out how to do that, or it simply isn't possible.

What are my options?

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 9:11 AM

9 replies

Sep 1, 2013 12:05 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

Thank you for your help. Regarding the second option, when you say "delete the entry from the iTunes library" do you mean right-clicking on the movie, and selecting "delete"? If I do this, will the movie thumbnail still show up in my library, but with a "cloud" icon in the corner or will the movie thumbnail be removed from my library like it was never there? Also, if I right-click and select delete, I am asked if I want to delete the "item" and then, if I say yes, I am given an option to send the item (I'm assuming they mean "file") either to the trash or keep it in the iTunes media folder. According to the instructions online, I would want to choose "send to trash" in order to return the item to 'in the cloud" status; HOWEVER, I don't want to delete the file itself, which is on my external HDD, becuase I want it as a backup and for home network streaming. What would happen if I keep it my my iTunes media folder? Would the file remain on my external HDD AND the movie show up as "in the cloud" and not "already downloaded?

Many thanks.

Sep 1, 2013 7:31 PM in response to jsulmeyer

The reason you can't play the movie when the external HDD is not connected is becaue iTunes is looking for the actual file that is on the external HDD. There's no way around that. If you are deleting the movie from iTunes with the HDD attached then, of course, you do not want to send the actual file to the trash. Select "no" in that case.

Sep 3, 2013 12:10 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

I understand that I can't play my downloaded movies when my external HDD is not connected becuase iTunes is looking for the downloaded files. This is not the issue. The issue is that because my HDD is not connected (as in when I'm away from home) I'd like to be able to stream the movies via the cloud.

If I hadn't downloaded the movies when I redeemed my codes, would I have been able to keep the movies online via Apple iCloud and watched them anytime by streaming them or must the movies be downloaded in order to be viewed on my MacBook? I read that Apple allows movies purchased (or redeemed) via iTunes to be stored in the cloud via Apple iCloud so that they can be viewed any time, on any device. IF this is the case, how does it work? From what I can see, it looks like movies can only be "streamed" from the cloud when useing Apple TV; on my iPhone and MacBook Pro, it looks like they need to be downloaded in order to be viewed.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Also - Michael - when you said that If I've already downloaded the film but I'm away from my external HDD I should "Delete the entry from the iTunes library so iTunes only sees the iTunes in the Cloud version", what exactly would this mean? Would this mean that I could then stream the movie from the cloud or would I have to re-download it to my Mac's internal HDD in order to watch it?

Many thanks!

Sep 3, 2013 6:47 AM in response to jsulmeyer

jsulmeyer wrote:

I understand that I can't play my downloaded movies when my external HDD is not connected becuase iTunes is looking for the downloaded files. This is not the issue. The issue is that because my HDD is not connected (as in when I'm away from home) I'd like to be able to stream the movies via the cloud.

You must also delete the movie from the iTunes library and make sure you have the option to "Show iTunes in the Cloud Purchases" selected in the iTunes Prefs. This is an either-or situation. Either you you can stream the movie from the cloud, or you can have it in your iTunes library as a downloaded file on your computer. You cannot have both.

If it were me in your situation I would be copying the files to the internal HDD of the computer when I traveled since hotel and public Wi Fi networks are generally not fast enough to stream movies.

Sep 3, 2013 7:09 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Michael,

I think I'm getting it. Before you wrote back this morning, I tried deleting one of my movies from iTunes (not the file on my external HDD, just the "entry" in iTunes), hoping I would then see the iCloud version in iTunes (the thumbnail with the cloud in the corner). However, when I delteted the movie from iTunes, the thumbnail disappeared. Turns out this is because I didn't have "Show iTunes in the Cloud Purchases" checked off - for some reason, while trouble shooting, I must have unchecked it by mistake. Anyway, after your most recent reply, I rechecked the check box and deleted another film. This time, the thumbnail remained in my iTunes library but with the cloud icon in the corner - just as I had hoped. Now, even though the physical file remains on my external HDD for safe keeping (and for copying to my Mac's HDD when staying in hotels, etc., as you suggested) I can still "stream" the movie when I'm away from home and want to spontaneously watch one of my movies. Many thanks for your help with this!

In a related issue, is there a way to stream the movies to my iPhone (or iPad when I get one) rather than having to download them to the device? I opened the iTuens app on my iPhone, selected "More," then "Purchased," then "Movies" and all of my movies show up, but it appears that I can only watch them if I download them to my iPhone, which I can't do, due to lack of space. Is it possible to stream them instead?

Again, many many thanks for all of your help.

Sep 3, 2013 7:09 AM in response to jsulmeyer

jsulmeyer wrote:

In a related issue, is there a way to stream the movies to my iPhone (or iPad when I get one) rather than having to download them to the device? I opened the iTuens app on my iPhone, selected "More," then "Purchased," then "Movies" and all of my movies show up, but it appears that I can only watch them if I download them to my iPhone, which I can't do, due to lack of space. Is it possible to stream them instead?

No. Video must be downloaded to iOS devices to watch it.

jsulmeyer wrote:

Again, many many thanks for all of your help.

You're welcome.

How do I stream purchased movies to my Macbook Pro if I've already downloaded them and moved the source files to an external desktop hard drive and I'm away from home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.