Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Code 21 with iPod Touch

Hello, I recently registered my iPod Touch's UDID, and of course tried out iOS 7. But wanting to go back to iOS 6 for stability I restored to the ipsw, but when I did it went into a recovery loop, so since iTunes didn't seem to be able to fix it I used redsn0w to get out of the loop. But now with iOS 7 beta 6, which is supposed to be more stable, I figured I'd give it another chance and upgrade again. But, whether I try to restore into iOS 7 or do an upgrade, it gives me and error code 21 and goes into that recovery loop. Just for clarification I have an iPod Touch 5th generation, windows 7 ultimate, avast antivirus (error code 21 supposedly is related to anitvirus), and the most recent iTunes as of right now. Any help or ideas is appreciated, thanks!

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3, UDID is registered

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 1:24 PM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2013 1:36 PM in response to cookthebook

Error 20, 21, 23, 26, 28, 29, 34, 36, 37, 40

These errors typically occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process. FollowTroubleshooting security software issues to resolve this issue. In rare cases, these errors may be a hardware issue. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

Also, check your hosts file to verify that it's not blocking iTunes from communicating with the update server. See iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting—follow steps under the heading Blocked by configuration (Mac OS X / Windows) > Rebuild network information > Mac OS X > The hosts file may also be blocking the iTunes Store. If you have software used to perform unauthorized modifications to the iOS device, uninstall this software prior to editing the hosts file to prevent that software from automatically modifying the hosts file again on restart.

You say you have iOS 7. If you are a developer you have access to the private OS 7 developer's forum

iOS 7 Developer forum- Apple Developer

The "device may need service" means a hardware problem. In that case make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Error Code 21 with iPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.