Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I effectively store just videos on a NAS?

I have a MacBook Pro retina with only 256 GB of storage, and videos are quickly eating up my remaining space. Since an Aperture library should reside on one's internal hard drive/flash (much faster than the jpegs), I think that the best compromise would be to keep the photos on the flash as well (70GB or so) but store the videos as referenced files (60GB+) on a NAS (a Time Capsule just dedicated to that purpose, to be specific).

Would that be an effective solution? The TC can read and write at about 25 MB/sec, so throughput shouldn’t be much of an issue -- and I don't actually play the videos all that often.

I want an easy way to store the videos (plugging and unplugging an external hard drive is less easy than networked storage) and have them readily accessible.

Many thanks in advance for thoughts.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 3:17 PM

The NAS for referenced files (either still or video) should work. Your best course of action is to try it with a few to see how it works for you.

One thing to be aware of concerning referenced videos ad Aperture; Only videos stored in the Aperture library are available via the media browser to other apps. If the videos are referenced they will not show up in the media browser. Not sure how much of an impact this would have on your setup, depends on if you use Aperture to store the videos and then use something like iMovie to edit them.

regards

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2013 3:17 PM in response to odysseus

The NAS for referenced files (either still or video) should work. Your best course of action is to try it with a few to see how it works for you.

One thing to be aware of concerning referenced videos ad Aperture; Only videos stored in the Aperture library are available via the media browser to other apps. If the videos are referenced they will not show up in the media browser. Not sure how much of an impact this would have on your setup, depends on if you use Aperture to store the videos and then use something like iMovie to edit them.

regards

Can I effectively store just videos on a NAS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.