Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

charging iphone

I am having trouble lately when I plug my iPhone 5 to charge it. Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes it does not want to charge at all. I work in IT and have access to numerous new cables (lightning to USB) and Apple 5w USB power adapter. For almost the first 10 months I had no problems. Then it started when I would plug in the Lightning to USB cable it would not charge and I would unplug it and then flip it over and plug it back in and it would charge. Now I have to switch cables and or USB power adapters around before it eventually charges. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jefre

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 4:04 PM

8 replies

Sep 3, 2013 6:22 AM in response to jefre

Hey guys... Wanted to give everyone an update. I made an appointment at the local Genius Bar and everything is working great. It seems that maybe I got some lent in the port which prevented the lighting cable from sitting properly which I am told is with no gap so the cable and phone should be flush in order to properly charge.

Maybe I need a better case. But good to know it was not anything horrible.

Good luck and hope everyone has a simple fix like mine. Just take it in and a few minutes later Apple will have it all cleaned out and working.

Jefre

Jan 5, 2014 9:13 AM in response to jefre

I just had the same problem and read all the forum advise:

I fixed mine with the following solution:

iphone 5 does not want to charge or it only sometimes charges and variations of it:

My phone had all the symtoms of most of the problems and solutions mentioned but the solution was the simplest one. My son use to carry the phone in his pocket. The fluff build up in the phone, but you cannot see it as it form a flat hard surface in the back to the charger hole. I did clean it a few times but it still did not work so I though it was a software problem or the fact that I did not use an original apple cable.

Solution: I used a thin wire (the ones used to tie plastic bags). It is soft enough not to damage anything. I kept the one side straight to scratch the charger hole, expecially the corners. I bend the other side into a small hook (2-3mm) to hook out the fluff. Keep on going as when I thought I had all of it out a big lump as hard as stone came out. This seemed to have been the problem as the charger could not get deep enough.

The strange thing was that with the problem I could get the original apple cable to work sometimes but the generics would never work. Now that the muck is out all cables work.

I am still struggeling to clean the speaker holes as I believe they are also full of fluff as the sound is softer than my other phones in my house hold.

charging iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.