Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install 10.5.2 disks for early 2008 MacBook onto late 2007 MacBook currently running Ubuntu?

The stats:

I have the original install disks from my early 2008 MacBook, mb403ll/a, [http://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4-white-13- early-2008-penryn-specs.html.] It got rained out of commission, but had a brand new hard drive, battery, and power supply when it was killed, so, I found a late 2007 model MacBook, mb062ll/b, [http://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.2-white-13- late-2007-santa-rosa-specs.html,] for sale that is currently running Ubuntu. (I know nothing about Ubuntu, but the seller says it was installed about a year ago.)

So, the questions are:

1. Will most of the parts on these machines be interchangeable, especially the hard drive, bezel and face plates rhat are prone to cracking?

2. Most importantly, can I use the early 2008, 10.5.2 install disks on the late 2007 machine, and if so, how do I install it when the thing is running Ubuntu?

Thank you!

MacBook, Other OS, Ubuntu, 10.5.0, 10.5.2

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 6:33 PM

6 replies

Sep 1, 2013 6:39 PM in response to GraceLately

What Carolyn has told you is usually, but not always, correct. There are always potential issues with drivers that may be missing in the OEM model specific versions of OS X.

But you can give it a try. The later OS X version may have all the drivers required by the earlier model. If it does, then it will probably install itself and work. If not then you may just be told that OS X cannot be installed. Or if it does install the computer may not function properly.

Needless to say you can boot the computer then repartition and reformat the drive.

Sep 1, 2013 8:18 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

By this do you mean all Macs that are the same model (iMac, Macmini, MacBook, etc) & configuration as indicated by an order# such as maxilla/a? Or do you figure it's strictly according to model & release date. (I'm pretty sure install disks aren't locked to a specific serial number; that would be awfully unforgiving... What if you lose them?)

Sep 1, 2013 8:33 PM in response to Kappy

So how do I find out about general parts compatibility? We got model no.: in this case, both are A 1181. Then there's the "emc"; in this case 2200 and 2242, and the model id MacBook 3,1, MacBook 4,1, not to mention the order , (which begin with m) and the "subfamily." I'm not sure where to start when it comes to figuring out if my old hard drive & bezel will fit.

And what you're saying about the install... The Ubuntu factor won't prevent the installation if these disks will in fact work? If they don't work, what's my best option? Full version of Snow Leopard? I read in another forum that a Retail Version of Snow Leopard wouldn't install on a Santa Rosa (late 2007) MacBook. Is a "Retail Version" a full version, or just an upgrade?

Sep 1, 2013 9:35 PM in response to GraceLately

The retail Snow Leopard will indeed install on your model.

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store. Access to the App Store enables you to download Mountain Lion if your computer meets the requirements.

Snow Leopard General Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider;

fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s iCloud services; fees and

terms apply.

Can I install 10.5.2 disks for early 2008 MacBook onto late 2007 MacBook currently running Ubuntu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.