Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep my library on an external hard drive 4TB. It's full. Can I use more than one hard drive to keep my library on?

I keep my iTunes library on an external hard drive 4TB. It's full. Can I use more than one hard drive to keep my library on? Like two 4TB next to each other.

Imac 24 inch, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 1:57 AM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2013 3:39 AM in response to dancutler

Create a concatenated disk set

Increase storage space with a concatenated RAID set (also called “Just a Bunch of Disks” or JBOD). If you need one large disk, but you have only several smaller disks, you can create a concatenated disk set to use several small disks as one large disk.

1. Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.

2. Select one of the disks that you want in the set, and then click RAID.

3. Click Add (+), and type a name for the RAID set.

4. Choose a format from the Format pop-up menu. Usually you’ll choose the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

5. Choose Concatenated Disk Set from the RAID Type pop-up menu.

6. Drag the disks you want to add to the set to the list on the right.

7. Click Create.

Exerpt from:

Disk Utility 12.x: Create a RAID set - Apple - Support

Note that the biggest CON to concatenated RAID configurations is vulnerability to volume failure. If either disk fails, the whole volume fails. If you choose this option, I would highly recommend backing up your music to a cloud service. There are very cheap per GB/storage, and some of the most reputable actually offer unlimited storage:

Five Best Cloud Storage Providers - Lifehacker

I keep my library on an external hard drive 4TB. It's full. Can I use more than one hard drive to keep my library on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.