Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine for a hybrid MBP is missing the HDD for Migration

I was bulding myself a Hybrid, means removing the DVD-RW and replaceing with an internal SSD, put the internal OEM-HDD in in the DVD-Bay and use this for Storage only. After doing this I was reinstalling 10.8. on the SSD and put my entire User-Profile on the HDD, leaving the SSD for the system and the Programms only. TimeMachine is working, restoring files on occation either on the SSD or the HDD did work without any flaws and saved me couple of times in the past. For almost 8 Month it is working pretty good, actually it is still working.

Now I got myself myself a MacBook Air for easier traveling and tried to use Migartion Wizzard on the Air to get my files and stuff from the TimeCaspule (TC) for teh MBP. But the Migration does show the Backups from the SSD only, not from HDD. Now I'm a bit confused and would like to know, why Migration isn't offering me the files from the HDD as well? If my surely not unusual setup wouldn't work at all, I couldn't be able to restore files from TC to my SDD or HDD, right? But I can.

Any thoughs on this by anyone?

regards ruediger

ps. I've not tried the LAN-Migration between my two Macs yet.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, End 2011, 8GB RAM, + res. Display

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 4:42 AM

2 replies

Sep 2, 2013 4:59 AM in response to checkIt

I've no experience with homebrew fusion drives but I'm sort of surprised that you got Time Machine to back it up at all. That said, I would simply not use the Time Machine backups and instead use Migration Assistant to migrate your files from your Pro to your Air. Since the Air has neither FireWire or Ethernet you can either buy an adapter for the Air or do it the 'hard' (and lengthy) way - over wifi. I HAVE used this method in the past with success but I had to leave the migration running overnight - it would be best to get a FireWire adapter for your Air but if you don't want to purchase one for one-time use, wifi will (slowly) work.

Clinton

Sep 2, 2013 5:13 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

You're totally right Clinton, there is always more than one way to do something. What you've suggested is what I am going to do next. TC is to backup the entire system, I am not aware of TC is supporting one Drive only. Someboy may correct me if I am I wrong?

In my case, what if the MBP got broken and I had to restore my file to a new MBP or let's say an iMac? TC won't work for me as it should and I would loose my backuped files. In this setup TC is providing a delusive Security, does it?

I am just wondering if others are haveing the same issue like me and trust their Backup, where they shouldn't. Know what I mean...? 🙂

TimeMachine for a hybrid MBP is missing the HDD for Migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.