Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (late 2009) Hd 4850 graphic issues

Hi guys,

I've got an:

iMac 27-inch (late 2009)

2,8 Ghz Intel Core i7

ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

When I start playing Quake Live then after a few rounds I notice that the temperature of my mac is rising (maybe upto 53 Celsius).

Then, after a while, when I startup a new round, there is a big change that my screen gets f*** up.

Small yellow, grey and other coloured rectangles will fill my screen/window and if I leave Quake Live every other window will get f*** op to.

If I restart my computer then, most of the time, it'll be alright (at least for a while).

Thoughts:

- 512 MB video memory is maybe not enough. Anyone else playing Quake Live with this configuration?

- The graphic drivers for my HD 4850 where better in (Snow) Leopard. Then I got (the maximum) 125 fps easily. In (Mountain) Lion fps dropped to about 70 fps.

- Turning fan speed on to 2000 rpm will let me play longer

General questions:

- Am I the only person who's suffering from this?

- Does this mean my videocard is on it's way to crash?

- Can my videocard be replaced? (and what are the costs?)

Questions concerning gaming:

--- 512 MB video memory is maybe not enough. Anyone else playing Quake Live with this configuration?

--- Anyone else playing Quake Live on this configuration still has his 125 fps?

Those last questions don't belong here, but may give insight in a heavier use of the graphic processor.

Thanks in advance :-)

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), ATI HD 4850

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 7:30 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

From an user with a Late 2009 iMac that also had the same problem with games, this is a sign of an imminent graphic card problem. In Snow Leopard you should get the same issue. Now it may only happen while you are playing games, but there will be a point where it will always happen.

Late 2009 and newer iMacs have a removable GPU, so the repair won't be as expensive as with older computers. Take it to an Apple Store or reseller and the Genius will tell you the cost. In my case, it cost €100

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2013 7:30 AM in response to Sijf

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

From an user with a Late 2009 iMac that also had the same problem with games, this is a sign of an imminent graphic card problem. In Snow Leopard you should get the same issue. Now it may only happen while you are playing games, but there will be a point where it will always happen.

Late 2009 and newer iMacs have a removable GPU, so the repair won't be as expensive as with older computers. Take it to an Apple Store or reseller and the Genius will tell you the cost. In my case, it cost €100

iMac (late 2009) Hd 4850 graphic issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.