Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to wifi at home on MacBook Pro or iPhone 4S

I recently moved and got set up with a new (cable) internet provider. Since that time, I have been unable to connect to wireless on my MacBook Pro or my iPhone 4S. I can connect via ethernet. I can connect via other people's wireless (coffee shops, library, etc.). Sometimes, I get a "connection timeout error occurred" message. Other times, it looks like wifi is connected, but when I try to visit a URL on a browser, the blue bar moves about a centimeter across the address bar and stops. Email doesn't work, etc. The technician who set up my internet tried for nearly three hours to figure out why it wasn't working and concluded it must be a problem with my computer. It seems odd that I would only have problems at home, but I'm not an expert. Hoping someone here is, and can help. I work from home so this is rather frustrating (especially since connecting via ethernet means sitting in the living room instead of my office and tempting the dog to trip on the cord). Thanks for reading!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 10:35 AM

What is the make & model of the new wireless router that you ISP has provided you? Are you able to administer it if needed?

For the MacBook Pro, try the following, in order, until (hopefully) resolved:

1a. Delete Preferred Network(s)

• System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Wi-Fi tab
  • Under "Preferred Networks," delete the network(s) you regularly use from the list.

1b. Delete AirPort Keychain Entries

• Launch the "Keychain Access" application located in Applications/Utilties.
  • In the windows on the left side: Select login for Keychains and "All Items" for Category.
  • Click on the "Kind" filter at the top, and look for any "AirPort network password" entries...and delete them.

1c. Add Preferred Network(s)

• Add the preferred network(s) using the "+" button.
  • Restart or log out then back in.

2. Move System Configuration Files

(Note: You will have to reestablish your network connections settings.)

• Go to /Library/Preferences
  • Move the SystemConfiguration folder to the desktop.
  • Restart your Mac. (Note: OS X will rebuild the files that are now sitting on your desktop. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can move the folder back to it's original location.)
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2013 10:35 AM in response to mtsthelens

What is the make & model of the new wireless router that you ISP has provided you? Are you able to administer it if needed?

For the MacBook Pro, try the following, in order, until (hopefully) resolved:

1a. Delete Preferred Network(s)

• Under "Preferred Networks," delete the network(s) you regularly use from the list.

1b. Delete AirPort Keychain Entries

• Launch the "Keychain Access" application located in Applications/Utilties.
  • In the windows on the left side: Select login for Keychains and "All Items" for Category.
  • Click on the "Kind" filter at the top, and look for any "AirPort network password" entries...and delete them.

1c. Add Preferred Network(s)

• Add the preferred network(s) using the "+" button.
  • Restart or log out then back in.

2. Move System Configuration Files

(Note: You will have to reestablish your network connections settings.)

• Go to /Library/Preferences
  • Move the SystemConfiguration folder to the desktop.
  • Restart your Mac. (Note: OS X will rebuild the files that are now sitting on your desktop. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can move the folder back to it's original location.)

Sep 2, 2013 11:18 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your response. The modem is an Arris DG860. I don't know if I have access to administer it. When the tech was here, he entered some sort of IP address (maybe for the modem?) into my browser to change the password, but I don't recall the address. I may have it on the form somewhere.

I tried both fixes you suggested. I seem to be able to get/send email while connected via wireless, but I still can't connect through my browser (I've tried Safari and Firefox). My network settings say my connection is good to go, but it isn't working.

Also, I'm wondering about the SystemConfiguration folder swap. The recreated one has far less content than the one I moved to my desktop. Is that okay? I just want to make sure before I trash the version on my desktop.

Thanks again!

Sep 2, 2013 11:38 AM in response to mtsthelens

The Arris DG860 is a combination wireless router and Internet modem or gateway device. The tech most likely entered a local IP address in a web browser for this device to administer it. The default address for this is: 192.168.0.1. Unless they changed it, the default username is: admin, and the default password is: password. If this works you will want to change these for security reasons.

Most likely, we will not have to make any configuration changes on this gateway. So just keep this information handy in case you need to in the future. You can also download a copy of the User's Guide for this device here.

The fact that you have having issues with gaining Internet access with your web browsers indicates to me that you either have incorrect DNS server settings or they are missing. Think of DNS as the Internet's version of the Yellow Pages.

To test this theory, try enter the following in any web browser on your Mac: http://72.21.194.212 If Amazon web page shows up, then the DNS settings are the culprit.

Finally, for now, leave the SystemConfiguration folder on your OS X desktop until we can resolve your issue.

Sep 2, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Tesserax

Changed the password on the gateway device. Good catch. I assume when you said to enter that address you meant using (or attempting to use) wireless. When I do, the description at the top of the browser changes to the Amazon info, but the page never actually loads. It loads fine via ethernet. My wireless shows two DNS servers listed. These are the same as the ones listed for ethernet. Not sure if that's helpful to know.

Sep 2, 2013 12:08 PM in response to mtsthelens

I assume when you said to enter that address you meant using (or attempting to use) wireless.

Yes, that is correct.

When I do, the description at the top of the browser changes to the Amazon info, but the page never actually loads. It loads fine via ethernet.

Ok, that's certainly odd. Let's take a look at your wireless network settings in System Preferences:

• System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi
  • First check to make sure that the "Wi-Fi" servicer is at the top of the list. If it is not, please move it to the top. (Note: You do this by first clicking on the gear icon, and then, click on "Set Service Order.")
  • Click on the "Advanced" button.
  • Go to the TCP/IP tab.
  • Configure IPv4 should be: Using DHCP. The remaining fields (under IPv4) should be populated. You can ignore the IPv6 settings for now. Your IP address should be in the same 192.168.x.x range that your Arris gateway is providing.
  • Click on the "DNS" tab.
  • You should have one or more IP addresses under the heading "DNS Servers." These should be grayed-out but they should be the same addresses that your other devices are getting. These are typically provided by your ISP.

Sep 2, 2013 7:18 PM in response to mtsthelens

Sorry, at this point, I'm a bit lost at what the problem may be. I know you probably don't want to introduce another web browser, but it may be worth a try to install Google Chrome to see if that would make any difference.

Another option is to check to see if you have a proxy server configured in System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Proxies tab. None of the options should be selected except the "Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV)" option.

Otherwise the only other thing that comes to mind is to power-down the Arris gateway. Let it stay powered-down for at least 5 minutes. Then power it back up; wait at least 10-15 minutes to give it ample time to initialize. Finally try accessing web sites (with all three browsers) via a wireless connection.

Aug 3, 2015 5:47 PM in response to mtsthelens

My late 2010 iMac would not work with my Arris TG862 for more than a minute before the connection died. It would still show connection to the wifi but everything would stall. I tried logging into the gateway and changing wifi channel along with other tricks people thought might work, but nothing did. I had the same problem when I booted Windows on it too. After much searching it seems that this was an unsolved issue -- Mac hardware sometimes does not get along with Arris gateway wifi. I ended up going around the problem. I logged into the Arris gateway and disabled the wifi, plugging in my $20 Rosewill router to one of the LAN slots on the gateway. It works great!

Can't connect to wifi at home on MacBook Pro or iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.