Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to convert all the WMA files on my computer to Mp3 so that I can share them with both itunes and zune. Any tips for keepign things cleaned up and not having duplicate files everywhere?

I just bought an iPod and am importing songs to itunes. I have 60gb of mp3 files that went into itunes just fine. I have another 60gb that are WMA files, these files did not make it onto itunes. itunes asked me to convert and I switched the conversion to mp3, so that I could share with the Zune program. Now all my files are getting messed up by itunes and I have duplicates. I do not have enough space on the computer to have all 60gb duplicate. Looking for a solution. Is there a way to have itunes delete the WMA file after creating mp3 copy?

iPod touch, Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 8:39 AM

Is there a way to have itunes delete the WMA file after creating mp3 copy?

No. But after the MP3s are created and you are satisfied that things went OK, just delete the WMAs manually and say "Good Riddance."

You can use an MP3 in multiple players, but you need to turn off any features that automatically change or move files, since one player will change something that messes up the other:

• In iTunes, that means go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced and uncheck "Keep..." and "Copy..."
  • In Windows Media Player, that means go to Tools > Options > Library, and uncheck everything that starts with a verb such as "Rename...," "Rearrange...," etc.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2013 8:39 AM in response to mking53

Is there a way to have itunes delete the WMA file after creating mp3 copy?

No. But after the MP3s are created and you are satisfied that things went OK, just delete the WMAs manually and say "Good Riddance."

You can use an MP3 in multiple players, but you need to turn off any features that automatically change or move files, since one player will change something that messes up the other:

• In iTunes, that means go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced and uncheck "Keep..." and "Copy..."
  • In Windows Media Player, that means go to Tools > Options > Library, and uncheck everything that starts with a verb such as "Rename...," "Rearrange...," etc.

Sep 2, 2013 9:33 AM in response to mking53

Sorry I guess I just don't know. On my computer I had music in 2 different folders, in the 2 folders WMA and mp3 are mixed. With 20,000 songs in there I am unable to physically look at each file individually to convert. So I opened one folder and searched "wma" I then tried to drag these files to iTunes. Now that you asked me to look for the "protected files," I noticed some of the "wma" searched results are actually mp3. How can I search out for all the WMA files?

Sep 2, 2013 10:15 AM in response to mking53

M King,

When you let iTunes do the conversion, it puts the files in folders according to its own rules.

One way to avoid that is to do the conversions with a 3rd party program (such as Switch), put the new MP3 files in folders the way you want them, and then add to iTunes. (This approach requires "Keep..." and "Copy..." to be turned off, as previously mentioned.)

I am trying to convert all the WMA files on my computer to Mp3 so that I can share them with both itunes and zune. Any tips for keepign things cleaned up and not having duplicate files everywhere?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.