Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Filter failed with Epson Stylus Office B42WD printer

Hi

Can any one help I am having problems printing but when I do a range of tests that are in the printers settings it works with all of them as in cleaning the heads printing a test page but when it comes to printing from the computer I get "Filter failed" any thoughts?

2.93GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Memory 8GB also Mac OS X now (10.7)

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 12:17 PM

10 replies

Sep 2, 2013 1:29 PM in response to George Hilton

No.

You need to install and be using the latest Epson's drivers for your model Epson printer and OS X version from Epson's website.

Each time you installed a new printer driver, did you uninstall the old driver's?

You may have caused a conflict with all the various drivers if you didn't do this.

Epson's drivers include everything option you need for printing from your iMac.

If you still can't print using the latest Epson drivers, then you need to contact Epson to figure out what is causing your print issue.

Especially if you tried to install multiple drivers without uninstalling older drivers, first.

This issue seems to be a known issue or bug.

Google your issue to see others with the same issue with other applications.

This is clearly an Epson issue.

Contact Epson tech support.

Sep 5, 2013 2:26 PM in response to George Hilton

Just because Apple sends updates doeesn't mean you have to always download them.

Also, updating an application shouldn't affect any OS X printing capabilities unless it it a direct OS X upgrade, like from OS X 10.8.5 to OS Z 10.8.6.

If any of the software updates mention updating Epson printing drivers, that's another story and you can keep that particular update from happening.

If you go into OS X Prefences Pane, locate the Software Update icon and click it.

A pop up window appears and asks you to check for updates.

If your Mac detects the presence of updates from Apple's servers,

Another window pops up and says Updates available.

Click on Show info or Show updates.

A list of software updates appears.

There are small checkboxes next to each update.

Uncheck the updates that you DON'T want software update to update.

Feb 3, 2014 2:25 PM in response to George Hilton

I had the 'Filter Failure' problem too (on my Epson PX730WD).

Tried everything but nothing helped.

then I noted that I could print from Word but not from Adobe Reader (pdf).

My problem was that Ghostscript (postscript / pdf interpreter software) apparently was broken.

http://www.ghostscript.com/download/

does not provide installers for Mac OSx (just sources)

With google, I found

http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/

and

http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/download/t-free-ghostscript-for-mac-os-x-fre eware-hlidifhu.html

that provided packages for Mac OSx (Mavericks in my case).

Download, Install

Problem solved!

Filter failed with Epson Stylus Office B42WD printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.