Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

opened virus 517794350.doc will my mac be protected?

I stupidly opened a zip file on a spam mail - supposedly from hmrc ... so what I'm asking is am I protected by any anti virus? How can I tell if I have any mal ware on my mac?

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 1:32 PM

4 replies

Sep 2, 2013 2:38 PM in response to Aleksander10

Aleksander10 wrote:

I stupidly opened a zip file on a spam mail - supposedly from hmrc ... so what I'm asking is am I protected by any anti virus?

There have only been a couple of pieces of malware that impact OS X which were sent as e-mail attachments and they have used to target specific groups (e.g. Tibetan sympathizers). As I recall they take advantage of a vulnerability in Microsoft Office that was patched years ago, so as long as your software is fully up-to-date, you should have nothing to worry about. See Microsoft Office vulnerability used to spread malware.

Sep 2, 2013 6:01 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn Samit wrote:

If you have GateKeeper enabled, you should be ok.

Actually, GateKeeper is only effective against executables. If the file is a document, as it appears to be, GateKeeper won't check it.

Here's an article from earlier this year that seems to describe it HMRC spam / VAT Returns Repot 517794350.doc as a Windows only Microsoft exploit that installs a form of ZBot (captures and passes on financial credentials) that was patched in 2012.

opened virus 517794350.doc will my mac be protected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.