Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rmbp "wasd" keys get "stuck"

So it doesn't matter what game I play on my rmbp, I walk with "wasd" and my keys "stick" or rather they don't register the release of the key. So I let go of the movement key but in the game I still move in whichever direction I'm moving at the time. It doesn't happen everytime, but a quite a few times an hour. So much that it makes a difference, now I've made sure my keys are clean, and I hear the click when I hit the key.. And the key comes all the way back up to level with the rest of the keys on release. I have a Windows laptop aswell, and I've never had this problem with that, I'm really wondering if there is a setting I'm overlooking? Or if there has been questions like this before that has been resolved?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I'd also like to add, that the "wasd" keys outside of games do not repeat. They work the same as any other key. Also other keys used in games like, " I " for Inventory, or "M" for Map, don't have this problem either, even if I use them over excessively, just like the "wasd" keys. ( Consitantly hitting them over and over )

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 5:34 PM

8 replies

Sep 1, 2015 7:44 AM in response to HugoM

The keys you mentioned are all right together. That does not bode well. When keys in a row or keys close together or keys in an approximate column stop working it is likely to be a Hardware problem -- a physical problem in the keyboard itself.

You need to go ask the guys at the genius bar about getting it replaced. If you make an appointment, your visit for an evaluation is free, in warranty or out. The repair costs are all fixed price, no surprises.

This is what a typical modern keyboard looks like inside:

User uploaded file

You can see there are no longer any real "switches" inside, or anything that actually makes contact. Pressure from pressing a key pushes the two films closer together and changes the electrical characteristics. The micro-controller scans the lines to determine which key or keys are being pressed. When it goes wrong, it may be due to debris between the plastic sheets, or possibly "just because". There is usually nothing that can be "fixed".

rmbp "wasd" keys get "stuck"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.