Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hey, I'm fixing up a Power Mac G5 for a friend, he gave me a Cinema HD 30' display to use with it. My problem is, the Power Mac G5 doesn't have a place where I can plug in one of the display's cords. the cord is called a "DC power (24.5 V)"

So the Cinema HD's DVI goes in fine, I don't remember what video card is in the computer, all I know is it's Nvideo, it's old, only like 256MB, but does have two DVI ports. Anyway, then the display's firewire and USB can go in. But there's this weird thing, had to do some research to figure out what the connector/cord is called. it's the size of a USB, rectangular with oval sides. It's called a "DC power (24.5 V)" I'm like, what the heck is this thing? it won't go into the computer anywhere, I'm assuming I need some sort of adapter?? Help please, if I need an adapter or video card, links would be extremely helpful.

Best regards,

Poly

Cinema HD 30" /Power Mac G5-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.6), No operating sys installed yet....

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 12:12 AM

7 replies

Sep 3, 2013 12:34 AM in response to DeniableWaters

I don't believe so, I have a DVI to ADC adapter I was messing with, my DVI from the display plugs into the adapter, then i grap the adapter's ADC connector, and it does not go into my Power mac G5's video card. So that confirms that the display is DVI, and works with my DVI video card perfectly. It's just the one wire/connector that apple calls the "DC power (24.5 V)" that won't go in anywhere. Basically the display has a DVI connector, firewire connector, and USB, which all go into my Power mac G5 fine. However, it has another wire with a connector that won't go in anywhere, from what I've read off the teach specs of my Cinema HD 30' that final connector/wire is listed as "DC power (24.5 V)"

So my problem is with that. I have NO idea what it does, or goes into. When I google "DC power (24.5 V) Apple" it comes up with weird images none of which have that connector. So I'm just so. Confused.

Sep 3, 2013 11:07 PM in response to polyosis

The 30" display should have come with a power supply that plugs into an AC power outlet. The display's power cable plugs into the power supply, not the computer. Ask your friend if he has the power supply. They aren't cheap.

<http://www.welovemacs.com/66133561.html>

<http://www.welovemacs.com/9226529.html>

Also find out the model graphics card in the G5. Some are only single-link DVI and will not run a 30" display at full resolution.

Sep 9, 2013 12:24 AM in response to DeniableWaters

Dual-link DVI is still just one DVI connector, it just uses more of the pins. With single-link DVI, some of the pins aren't connected to anything. You can't get dual-link DVI using two single-link DVI ports.

G5s came with several different graphics cards that had two DVI ports. Some have two single-link ports, some have one single-link and one dual-link, some have two dual-link ports,

If you plug a 30" display into a single-link DVI port, the picture will still fill the entire screen but the resolution will be 1280 x 800 instead of 2560 x 1600.

Hey, I'm fixing up a Power Mac G5 for a friend, he gave me a Cinema HD 30' display to use with it. My problem is, the Power Mac G5 doesn't have a place where I can plug in one of the display's cords. the cord is called a "DC power (24.5 V)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.