Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I remove items from the dock?

New to the Mac community I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and it wont let me remove items from the dock. I have tried every conventional way I can think of and looked up the question on this site but nothing is working.... Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 12:46 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Maybe the Dock settings file is locked because of a permissions problem, so try to remove it. Open a Finder window, select Go menu (on the menu bar) > Go to Folder, and type ~/Library/Preferences.

Then, delete "com.apple.dock.plist" and restart. The Dock will be back to default settings and Mac OS X will create a new Dock settings file, so you should be able to remove and add items to the Dock.

Also, note that you can't remove apps from the Dock that are opened. In that case, you will have to close the app, so the app will disappear if it's not set to keep in Dock

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2013 12:46 AM in response to gem.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Maybe the Dock settings file is locked because of a permissions problem, so try to remove it. Open a Finder window, select Go menu (on the menu bar) > Go to Folder, and type ~/Library/Preferences.

Then, delete "com.apple.dock.plist" and restart. The Dock will be back to default settings and Mac OS X will create a new Dock settings file, so you should be able to remove and add items to the Dock.

Also, note that you can't remove apps from the Dock that are opened. In that case, you will have to close the app, so the app will disappear if it's not set to keep in Dock

Sep 3, 2013 5:10 AM in response to mende1

Thank you! that did solve the problem until the next time I opened an Application and then couldn't remove it so I have to go through this process the whole time :-/... Could it be something in my settings? Also how am I sure I've closed an application/program and its not just running in he background? I've been using the red "traffic light" and assumed that meant I had closed it down.

why can't I remove items from the dock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.