Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I recover deleted book mark files

My son or his friends accidently deleted all of my bookmarks on Safari. I have used time machine recently for back up but do not know how to recover my deleted bookmarks.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 2:37 AM

5 replies

Sep 3, 2013 8:08 AM in response to 1h20man

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard (command-C):

~/Library/Safari

Quit Safari. Disable Safari synchronization in iCloud, if applicable.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens (command-V), then press return.

A folder window should open. Restore the file named "Bookmarks.plist" in that folder from a backup that predates the unwanted changes. If you disabled sync, re-enable it and test.

Nov 26, 2013 8:02 PM in response to 1h20man

My bookmarks disappeared after restoring from a backup to a new iPhone 5 through iTunes. (I got my old one replaced when a button stopped working). I figured something with the restore got messed up, and I just went ahead and started repopulating my bookmarks list from scratch. But a few days later they all disappeared again.

I tried all of the prescribed remedies with no luck.

-I tried killing the safari app.

-I tried killing ALL of the running apps.

-I tried turning off/on the iPhone.

-I tried a hard restart.

No luck.

So after basically giving up, I decided to turn on iCloud backup for Safari so that if this happened again, I could at least hopefully retrieve iPhone bookmarks from iCloud.

After doing this, all of my bookmarks that I had on my OLD phone before restoring to the new one reappeared. :-D

So I don't know if this maybe all had to do with the iCould setting on the new phone being set incorrectly by the Genius at the Apple store, or if it's just a weird bug, or what. But turning on iCloud backup for Safari worked for me in restoring my bookmarks.

How do I recover deleted book mark files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.