2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2013 11:38 AM by Brice Munn
Brice Munn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi all,

I'm currenty working on a wedding album for a client, and have decided to have it published using iPhoto's book ordering system. The pages I've designed include a mixture of JPEG files and PNGs. The PNGs had no backgrounds when I created them is PS, but now I'm importing them to the book project in iPhoto, some of them are being displayed with black backgrounds, others with translucent black backgrounds and others with no background at all. In the screen cap below, you can see how three images, all backgroundless PNGs, have changed in iPhoto. The odd thing is that when I re-size the window, or enter full screen, the backgrounds change. It seems to be the biggest images are completely backgroundless, the medium sized ones have translucent backgrounds (as in the screen cap), and the smaller ones have solid black backgrounds.

Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 16.58.46.png

When the book is printed, what will happen to the background on the photos?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)
  • 1. Re: Printing PNGs in book
    Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (115,700 points)

How did you create the png files?  There must be something different between the smaller images and the larger. Are they from different sources or created by different apps?

To see how it will print Control-click on the page and select Preview Book in the contextual menu:

Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 9.31.32 AM.jpg

Create a pdf file of the book and check for errors before ordering.  Save the pdf file to compare with the printed version when you receive it.

OT

• 2. Re: Printing PNGs in book
    Brice Munn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks. In the PDF all the images have no backgrounds, just as I designed them. The only conclution I can draw is that for some reason for pictures under a certain size, iPhoto previews them on a black background. Same thing with thumbnails. Who knows... anyway, problem solved so thank you very much for your help.

Much obliged,

Brice