Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I have two separate wifi networks at home?

My set up is as follows:

I have an AEBS that has a network name of "X" and is connected to my cable modem.

I have a Netgear ethernet switch connected to my AEBS.

I have set up a separate "network" named "Y" that I've configured by "repurposing" an older AE generation 1 that I have hard wired to my ethernet switch.

When I attempt to connect to network "Y", all my network connections begin to fail until I unplug the AE from the the ethernet switch.

Is what I'm attempting something that just can't happen without some kind of "collision". or creation of a network nightmare?

TIA,

JIM

AppleTV 2

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 8:47 AM

1 reply

Sep 3, 2013 9:36 AM in response to James Palmer2

I have set up a separate "network" named "Y" that I've configured by "repurposing" an older AE generation 1 that I have hard wired to my ethernet switch.

That older generation AirPort must be configured to "create a wireless network" and operate in Bridge Mode. Is that the way that it is configured?

If yes, test by connecting the older AirPort directly to the AEBS and bypassing the Ethernet switch. If the older Airport has been setup to "create a wireless network" and it is in fact in Bridge Mode, then things should be working.

Once you have confirmed that this is working, add the Ethernet switch and test that way. Things should work. If they don't, then you need to start troubleshooting the switch.

Can I have two separate wifi networks at home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.