Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" Cinema Display with "Thunderbolt" labeled cable?

In early 2011 I purchased a 27" Thunderbolt Display (this is how it was sold and marketed by Apple, btw) for use with my then-new Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011 (i.e. with Thunderbolt port). Monitor Serial # 2A0424CP6JL

The combo cable coming out of the monitor has a USB + power + "Thunderbolt" port (the label is clearly Thunderbolt NOT Mini Displayport). However, there are only three USB ports on the back of the monitor, not a Firewire port, nor another Thunderbolt port.

My question: I believe this monitor is nothing more than a rebranded 27" Cinema Display with a mini Displayport relabled with a "Thunderbolt" icon. Is there anyway to confirm that electrically, this is actually a Displayport and not a Thunderbolt port?

Thanx!

Michael

P.S. 30 days after I purchased this monitor, Apple "upgraded" it as documented in their store to include the 2nd Thunderbolt port and Firewire port. In other words, I think I have a rare transistional display that I can find no information anywhere on the web.

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 9:48 AM

2 replies

Sep 3, 2013 11:34 PM in response to MJSfoto1956

You have the Mini DisplayPort version of the 27" display. Compare it with the pictures in:

<http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC007LL/A/apple-led-cinema-display-27-flat-pan el>

The Thunderbolt display is a separate product, not an upgraded Mini DisplayPort display.

<http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC914LL/B/apple-thunderbolt-display-27-inch>

Both versions are still for sale by Apple

With the display connected, run System Profiler (or System Information) from the Utilities folder (in the Applications folder). Look in the Thunderbolt section. If the display were Thunderbolt it would show there.

27" Cinema Display with "Thunderbolt" labeled cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.