Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcut issues in Logic Pro X

So just playing with Logic Pro X and noticing some unexpected behaviour as regards keyboard shortcuts to do many basic things. Hoping there is some simple explanation. Here's what's going on:

While in the timeline, right clicking shows that to change from pointer took to say, zoom or scissors, you use the indicated hot key. So zoom is the 9 key, scissors is the 5 key. Thing is, those keys do nothing. Hit 5 and the screen flashes for a moment and does not change to the scissors key. What's going on?

Going into the key commands editor, I can see that scissors hot key is actually S, which makes sense, so what is with the numbers? They clearly don't work. I guess I have solved how to change tools, but still curious what those numbers are for and since they don't do anything, is going into the key command editor the only way to find out what those hot keys are?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 3:48 PM

The number keys work in conjunction with the T (tool) key and also if you right click and leave the menu up the numbers work as indicated. Numbers 1 to 4 above the keyboard are used to call screen presets. Your keyboard shortcuts are not standard, S does nothing here, so see what your tool command is.

9 replies

Sep 3, 2013 5:18 PM in response to Cartoonguy

That's why I said your keyboard shortcuts are not standard. Search for Tool in Key Commands. I read that it was Esc in Logic 9, but just see what it is and it will work with that. You can go to the default Key commands by loading them in too. It depends on how attached you are to the ones that you have now. The tool key just does a right click unless your settings for right click are different there.

Sep 3, 2013 10:14 PM in response to Cartoonguy

DO you have a numeric keypad? Those are treated differently than the number keys across the top. Check the keyboard shortcuts which you can make into anything you want. The MacProVideo series is an investment I am very glad I made (no relation). I highly recommend them to get you up and running. I'm constantly putting palm to forehead watching people who know what they are doing, I've missed so many obvious things while trying to get a musical idea out, things right there on the screen that I was ignoring because I was focusing on something else.

Sep 5, 2013 10:14 AM in response to mdee

Right, so I think I have it now. When I started, I had yet to load the US key commands which I did by going to the key commands menu, presets and then choosing US. Once that was done, it worked more as I expected and then I could go in and make my own personal key commands in the edit key commands menu. Bit confusing that it doesn't start that way, but there is probably some logical reason that I don't get. I mean, you open Photoshop for the first time and all the key commands just work, so this feels strange, but it's sorted now.

One more question: I can't find an option for muting a region, only muting the track. I know I can choose the mute tool and then clcik on the region, but that is more than one step. Is there are way to select a region, hit a key and it is muted or unmuted?

Oct 30, 2013 6:27 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Here is something I stumbled on today that is pretty cool.

http://www.logicprokeycommands.com

It's pretty amazing how well it works and how easy it is. I'm migrating from the default keys of 9 and am having a really tough time being willing to let go of 4 years of habbit.

It looks like a free tool/service created by someone who may offer a product for sale at some point. I could totally be wrong though. If they are, maybe I'm interested if it's a key command keyboard overlay =)

On the top of the site you can select the type of keyboard you are using and the version of Logic (ie: 9 or X) and then search for whatever you are needing to know the keyboard shortcut for and it will display on the keyboard image as well as give you a text version of the key combinations etc.

Keyboard shortcut issues in Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.