Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video disappeared but not "missing"

I'm revisiting a project that was worked on several months ago. The footage was shot on a Canon 5D Mark II and originally I used Optimized Media while editing. I had since deleted the Optimized Media to conserve drive space, and now that I'm revisiting the project, I decided to render out Proxy Media.

Upon creating the Proxy Media, I noticed all the clips in my event and their respective timelines went black. There were no warning red signs of "MIssing Media", but when I tried to play the footage from the Event or the Project timeline, the video was just black, and with no sound.

I attempted to relink the footage in the Event to the original media, and when I did that, I got an error saying the files were "incompatible" and that "the original media had no audio, and this media has audio". Which by the way would be impossible. The original footage always had audio.

I"ve tried deleting all the footage from the Event, then re-importing and re-rendering the Proxy media. The footage plays fine now in the Event window, but my footage is still black with no audio in the Project timeline. And when I tried to relink Project files, I get the same error that the files are "incompatible and that the original media had no audio and this has audio".

It doesn't look too hopeful, but has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas??

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 4:32 PM

2 replies

Sep 3, 2013 6:49 PM in response to macambassador

When you import clips, is it your practice to copy them to your events? If you look inside the event folder inthe Finder, do you see the original media h.264 files or are they aliases (curved arrow icons)?

Within FCP in the event browser, uf you right click on a clip and choose Reveal in Finder, where does it take you?

Russ

Sep 3, 2013 7:51 PM in response to Russ H

Normally, it is my practice to copy files to the event on import. I can't say for sure thats what I did originally with this project since it was several months ago. However, when I deleted the files today and reimported them, I was sure to copy to events. And they are confirmed to be in the Original Media folder- not aliases.

What I find most confusing is that FCPX is interpreting the files to have originally not contained audio which is impossible. The files are the same as they were. Its raw footage. The durations are the same, the file names have not been changed. This just doesn't make sense. I'm sure I've done at least a couple FCPX udates since this project originated- so maybe its a glitch in FCPX somewhere.

Its frustrating, but moreso unsettling to not be able to archive projects with confidence. At this point, since I'm unable to reconnect the files, I"m looking at having to re-edit these sequences.

video disappeared but not "missing"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.