Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3G only connects Whatsapp and not other apps (NOT a carrier issue)

Hi.

Starting around 10 days ago, the 3G connection on my iPhone 4s suddenly stopped working. I cannot check email, browse anything, open any social media BUT Whatsapp, or play games online. Here's what I have done to try to fix it:

1. Turning on Airplane Mode for a few seconds and turning it back off. Result: not ok.

2. Resetting the network setting. Result: not ok.

3. Contacting my carrier. Result: was suggested to change the APN.

4. Changing the APN. Result: not ok.

5. Rebooting the phone before Airplane Mode & Reset Network. Result: not ok.

6. Rebooting the phone after Airplane Mode & Reset Network. Result: not ok.

7. Reset All Settings. Result: not ok.

8. Changing the sim card (same carrier that has data plan). Result: not ok. Meaning the issue is with the phone?

9. Restoring to factory setting. Result: STILL NOT OK.

10. Comparing setting with other iPhone 4s in the same area with same carrier & data plan. Result: all settings are exactly the same.

11. Trying my sim card on another iPhone 4s. Result: works perfectly. So it's not a carrier issue, right?

If I recall correctly, it started happening after I synced my music. I reverted the sync mid-way, because it was about to copy some songs I don't want to copy. Then I re-synced.

It should NOT be the problem, but it cannot be a coincidence? Because I never changed any other setting or do anything unusual.

Additional details:

1. My phone is NOT jailbroken.

2. I always purchase legally.

3. 3G works to chat on Whatsapp, but I'm not able to download the media shared on Whatsapp no matter how small the size.

4. Notification from Facebook and Echofon works fine.

5. Sometimes when I open Echofon after a reboot tweets show up. Media on Whatsapp also already downloaded. But they don't continue showing up/not updating in real time.

6. I have just updated to iOS 6.1.3, but the problem started before I updated and I think I only skipped 6.1.2, meaning my 3G did not work with 6.1.1 (the supposed correction to 6.1 with 3G issue), so I don't think it's an iOS issue.

I'm so sorry for the long post, but I need to make it all clear. So... help? I'm desperate.

Thanks, guys!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 7:46 PM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2013 8:58 PM in response to lunadespierta

I can't find the edit button, so here's an update:

Changed to other sim card (different carrier this time, with data plan, of course): still not okay.

So, for some reasons, coincidentally (or not), after I synced my music, the 3G stopped working.

The warranty is not valid anymore so I cannot ask for a replacement, right? And I'm in Indonesia where I don't think you can get a replacement even though it's still warranted.

Sep 5, 2013 6:59 PM in response to lunadespierta

UPDATE #2:

I chatted with Ashley from Apple Support yesterday and she suggested me to restore the phone and set it up AS NEW, NOT restore from backup.

And it worked!

Of course, you have to back up everything, but I have my contacts, notes, and pictures on iCloud. All I did was merge them back to the phone from iCloud Setting.

One downside: you'll lose all text messages. But it's worth it.

So, thank you, Ashley!

3G only connects Whatsapp and not other apps (NOT a carrier issue)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.