Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firegl x3 problem

Hello everyone!

I recently found a FireGL X3 card but can't get it working.

Here is what I have:

PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 (2004, AGP, 10.5.8)

HP w2338h monitor

Single-link ( I think, it came with my Early 2008 MacBook Pro) DVI to VGA adapter

Current Graphiccelerator

Reduced FireGL X3 ROM from the macelite.wikidot.com

Generic VGA to VGA cable

It seems to have flashed fine but I get a lot of artifacting when connected to the monitor. VNC works fine when the monitor isn't connected but mimics the artifacting on the screen when the monitor is connected.

For what it's worth, I unplugged the MOLEX connector from the card with no effect and even removed the splitter and used power that would have went to the optical drive instead with no effect.

I'm out of ideas. Any advice?

Thanks!

Mike

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 12:39 AM

Hi Mike, sounds lijke bad card or VRAM... got a screen shot?

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2013 12:39 AM in response to BananaHands

Hi Mike, sounds lijke bad card or VRAM... got a screen shot?

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Sep 4, 2013 12:54 AM in response to BDAqua

That's what I was thinking, I was just hoping I was wrong.

It does the same thing in safe boot and I verified both disks (I have 2 G5s I've been trying the card in) but I haven't tried repairing the disk in safe boot, I'll try that once it's finished copying the hard drive. I accidentally released it when I decided to try to seek if the card worked in Leopard....

Funny thing, before when I used VNC without the monitor connected the desktop picture was just a solid color but now it is an actual picture.... I reset the PMU before but it was just a quick press, this time I held it. Come to think of it, I haven't reset the SMC or PRAM, might these help if nothing else does?

Thanks for the reply,

Mike

Sep 4, 2013 12:54 PM in response to BananaHands

Ok. I repaired and repaired permissions on both drives in safe boot and its still messed up. Would it matter which hard drive I booted from? They should be identical except for the size. Is there any way to send a screenshot from my ipad?

Have you ever flashed a video card? Is there any way to just wipe the ROM clean and try it that way? Every time I flash it I'm told that the ROMs are the same regardless of which one i try.

Mike

Sep 5, 2013 12:01 PM in response to BDAqua

So I reset the PRAM (three times without the card and then three times with the card) and the SMC. Strange, the Apple site says to just unplug it for 20 seconds but I also have the button that they mention for the 2005 PowerMac G5.

Still didn't work. I did get some screen shots though with Screen Sharing.

User uploaded file

This is without the monitor plugged in. It used to be just a solid color.

User uploaded file

This is with the monitor plugged in.

In both cases the card is reconized as an ATI x800xt.

Firegl x3 problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.